Wedding Reception Forum

Any suggestions for wedding appropriate punk/rock songs?

We're doing our own music via Ipod at the reception. My FH is really into punk and I don't hate it but just don't follow it. I'm into more alternative music so our wedding is a mix of that and some older classics everyone likes...except my FH. He's extremely laid back and doesn't mind what we play at the reception at all but I want him to have music that he enjoys at his own wedding! I've asked even for just a couple songs but he gives me the old, "Whatever you think, will be just fine with me!". Are there any song suggestions out there that are punk/rock for our wedding? 

Re: Any suggestions for wedding appropriate punk/rock songs?

• You need to sit down with him and get a straight answer out of him. Tell him that unless he gives you suggestions, you won't be able to play anything and that "whatever you want, dear" is not an answer.

That said, I'm slightly confused by your title of 'wedding appropriate" music because if you boycott anything that isn't "wedding appropriate" then you really don't have much left to work with. Honestly, if someone believes that your marriage will be doomed to end because you played a song (or a few) that are not lovey dovey, then they are the ones who have issues. If you want people to dance, you have to broaden your horizons and not stick to just the love songs.
  • I don't care what songs are played! Just not ones with a lot of swearing and such cause there will be a lot of kids there ranging from 2-12 years old and my FH's sister will potentially destroy me for playing them with her kids in the room. Horizons are broad but I just need some suggestions for some language safe songs to play! Hope that clears it up a bit! 
  • I don't really listen to punk, but check out "me first and the gimmee gimmees" I used to listen to them sometimes a long time ago, and they do punk versions of lots of classic songs, like leaving on a jet plane, sweet caroline, etc. Maybe that would work. That said, even if he does like punk music, it's not really that crowd-friendly for dancing etc, so I think if you just have more classic wedding music it would be fine! Good luck! It's sweet that you want to include his musical preferences. : ) HTH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-wedding-appropriate-punkrock-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1480a20b-d00b-4a22-baa0-e2cb9a65a9daPost:41b0942f-b9eb-469f-98a2-b7452836b329">Re: Any suggestions for wedding appropriate punk/rock songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's sweet that you want to include his musical preferences. : ) HTH
    Posted by homediva[/QUOTE]It's his day too so of course his preferences should be included. The day is not all about the bride and if it was, there would be no groom, hence no wedding. The marriage afterward certainly isn't all about the bride or all about the groom and the wedding should not be either.
  • What the FI and I did was look at the groups that we liked and once we knew, we googled away.  We put in "love songs by _____" and looked at the lyrics.  When the lyrics seemed to fit with a wedding we then turned to you tube and listened to it if it was unfamiliar to us.  The ones we liked...stayed.  We got some great song choices that way although we're doing a simple cake and punch reception, no dancing...so we didn't have to worry about whether guests knew it or not.  You could do this, and maybe have the songs that are unfamiliar play during the meal?

Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Go through his iPod and look up his most listened to songs. That should give you an idea of the artists he likes.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • FI and I both like punk too, but even in punk, everyones tastes are pretty different as it is such a wide genre of music. I agree with PP that you may want to go through his ipod and see what he likes. "Ring of Fire" by Social Distortion is a great cover, and The Clash "Rock the Casbah" is usually a crowd pleaser. GL!

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• I don't know what kind of punk your fiance likes, but my fiance and I are into I guess the more pop punk/ emo sort of stuff.  We are playing, "Hands Down" by Dashboard Confessional, "Nightingale" by Saves the Day (our first dance), "Make it Happen" by The Early November, "Your Love" (and 80s song by a band called the Outfield, but remade by Midtown), and "I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie.  We will be playing a few slower punkish/ indie songs mixed with traditional radio songs and some classics, like the Beatles. 

My other suggestion would be to look up acoustic versions of songs.  Some of the bands we listen to scream...a lot... and I don't want to kill my grandparent's ear drums.  So, my fiance and I found quite a few, beautiful, acoustic versions done by the original artists. 

Hope that helps some.
  • Go on myspace music and look up punk.  Most bands have several songs on their page, and links to DL them.  Google the lyrics and see if they sound ok. 
    The other thing is on the bottom left of their page, they usually have "influences" or "sounds like" that links to other bands.

Whenever I want some new music, I visit there.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • I'm a big fan of Pandora.com to discover new music.  So you could enter, say, The Clash, and get a whole radio station of music that sounds similar.  I'm also of the opinion that if it's okay to play on the radio, it's okay to play at a wedding.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-wedding-appropriate-punkrock-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1480a20b-d00b-4a22-baa0-e2cb9a65a9daPost:a323c3e9-c92c-4469-99c4-3887d5c4ee23">Re: Any suggestions for wedding appropriate punk/rock songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like punk and am making sure that I have <strong>Social Disortion's Ring of Fire</strong>. You might also try some of the more popular Ramones songs. Many of your guests will be familiar with that.
    Posted by persphone[/QUOTE]

I came here specifically to say this.
  • i'm a little late but i came to this board to pretty much ask the same type of question, how to mix punk/indie rock music (what we love) with what everyone else (my mom's snotty friends) will enjoy...

we have a few songs picked out like nightingale and freakish, the last song of the night will be i never promised you a rose garden by the suicide machines. and we're thinking about timebomb by rancid and caution and sound system by operation ivy because we grew up on those bands and while some of the old folks won't apprecite it's charm, they're not ~offensive~, and make us happy and remind us of when we first met...

i'm just worried about everything being a complete mishmash and hope we can find a dj to accomodate!!
  • Keep the songs that you fear may offend the most, late in the play list. Some of the older crowd may stay for dinner but not the entire reception. That may make the question a NON-ISSUE. (best case scenario).

Otherwise, I say start out slow during din din, then move into the "old crowd" faves. Rev it up to a punk tempo for a bit and bring it back down to an "old crowd" pace. Keep the tantric music tempo going until the party is over.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-wedding-appropriate-punkrock-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1480a20b-d00b-4a22-baa0-e2cb9a65a9daPost:f734dc0c-f93f-43a0-8f08-89ad4dc63561">Re: Any suggestions for wedding appropriate punk/rock songs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know what kind of punk your fiance likes, but my fiance and I are into I guess the more pop punk/ emo sort of stuff.  We are playing, "Hands Down" by Dashboard Confessional, "Nightingale" by Saves the Day (our first dance), "Make it Happen" by The Early November, "Your Love" (and 80s song by a band called the Outfield, but remade by Midtown), and "I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie.  We will be playing a few slower punkish/ indie songs mixed with traditional radio songs and some classics, like the Beatles.  My other suggestion would be to look up acoustic versions of songs.  Some of the bands we listen to scream...a lot... and I don't want to kill my grandparent's ear drums.  So, my fiance and I found quite a few, beautiful, acoustic versions done by the original artists.  Hope that helps some.
    Posted by itsinkthatlies[/QUOTE]

i agree with all of this!! there are some compilations like "punk goes acoustic" and "punk goes pop" and most of the songs are amazing.

also check out (and i'm not sure some of these count as "punk" but..kind of?)
    yellowcard - dear bobbie
    boys like girls - thunder (acoustic)
    goo goo dolls - iris (acoustic)
    goo goo dolls - stay with you
    dashboard confessional - as lovers go
    parachute - she is love
    plain white t's - our time now
    plain white t's - fireworks
    relient k - be my escape (acoustic)
    relient k - the best thing
    secondhand serenade - your call
    the starting line - the best of me (acoustic)
    sherwood - song in my head
    something corporate - i want to save you
    something corporate - konstantine
    the spill canvas - saved (acoustic)
    the spill canvas - this is for keeps
    waking ashland - i am for you
    yellowcard - ocean avenue (acoustic)
    yellowcard - only one (acoustic)
    and i've heard there are awesome acoustic versions of several foo fighters songs
    maybe some of the fray too?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards