Wedding Reception Forum

Home wedding - no dancing

I'm having a medium-small wedding (~65 guests) at my mother's house. She has a lovely backyard, but it slopes, and there is thus nowhere to set up a dance floor.  *I* don't care; neither I nor my fiance nor our parents really like to dance. I actually think having dancing at the wedding would be stressful for all of us!    The wedding is in the evening, with a finger food/chef station cocktail reception.  I'd pictured everyone mingling, eating and drinking just like they would at any other cocktail party.  But I'm worried that guests will be disappointed or bored that there isn't dancing. What do you all think? Would you be disappointed?  Any ideas for making it festive without dancing?  Thanks!!
White Knot

Re: Home wedding - no dancing

• Personally, I don't care about dancing, but when alcohol is involved, I do dance. If people really want to dance, they're likely to find somewhere, you don't have to have a dance floor. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • In that kind of set up with that number of people, I wouldn't expect dancing. I will dance when it's available, but definitely won't miss it when it's not. I don't think you have to add anything to make it more entertaining -- people will eat and drink and talk and have fun just as it is.
  • Cool, thanks guys!  I am trying to stop looking for things to worry about.  I'll be glad to tick this one off the list. :D
    White Knot
  • If the yard slopes, how will tables and chairs be on the slope?

Most guests do expect dancing at a wedding. I would think the reception will not last that long without dancing and just sitting out in your mother's back yard. I also question just serving finger food.

• Just remember that a party with no dancing is likely to be shorter, 2-3 hours instead of 4-5.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_home-wedding-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:1bbed1e3-31b5-440e-a3a1-5c03bd1806a0Post:c92cd57f-c856-480e-b3e9-3375e3448f7a">Re: Home wedding - no dancing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just remember that a party with no dancing is likely to be shorter, 2-3 hours instead of 4-5.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

I think that's true when you're at an off-site venue like a ballroom or restaurant. I wouldn't expect that to be the case for a wedding at home -- it would be like any other party at a home, and in my experience they last far longer than 3 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards