Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Spring wedding colors w/o being too girly!

We're getting married in April, and going to try on dresses tomorrow - both bridal and bridesmaid, if there's time. Just one problem - I don't have colors picked out!

I know I need to look at a venue first, but can anyone recommend modern yet elegant color combos that don't scream EASTER or TEA PARTY?
"So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
- all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Spring wedding colors w/o being too girly!

• Options
    Neutrals (like nude, champagne, gold) or light colors used alone (like blush BM dresses with ivory flowers) would look great.

I think colors would only scream Easter etc when there are too many (like say 4 bridesmaids in blush, baby blue, sage and lavender) Each of those colors on it's own, used with a neutral flower, like ivory, would be just fine, but if you bring too many of them into the same color palette, then you start getting Easter eggy.
  • Options
    I think you could do almost any color pallet you'd like as long as you don't do too much pastel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    We're getting married in May and the bridesmaids will wear navy dresses - our colors are navy blue and lavender. I think navy blue would also look great with pale yellow or pale pink without being too Easter-y.

GL!
  • Options
    I think I'm going to attempt a champagne and medium tealy-blue. It sounds crappy but looks great on my Alfred Angelo paper dolls lol
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I don't think that sounds crappy! I bet it will be lovely :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Also, I think if you pair a light gray with a pastel it makes it seem not as girly.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our spring wedding has eggplant purple as the main color, with accents of blue, silver, black, cream, white, etc. (I love neutrals, what can I say!)

I agree, as long as you don't overdo it on the pastels you should be fine.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We are doing champagne and guava for March.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

If you want to use pastels for your bridesmaids, you can.   The Easter egg - tea party phenomenon can be avoided by using additonal colors to ground your color scheme.  One of the easiest ways to do this is to utilize the groomsmen's attire.  If the groomsmen are in a black, rich caramel or elegant gray, the wedding party does not look like Easter eggs or tea party.  

Another methodology would be to add metalics to the look (gold shoes/clutches or silver shoes/clutches for the bridesmaids).  Elevated gold or silver urns for the centerpieces or goldor silver chargers for the table settings.   Using metallics modernizes the overall look of the day.  Neutrals (as one PP mentioned) is another way to modernize the bridesmaids attire.

The easiest way to pick colors is to list your favorite color and his favorite color.  Next try various shades of those colors on your bridesmaids.   A bride never looks more beautiful than when she is surrounded by beautiful bridesmaids.

• Options
    I love navy/yellow or gray/yellow!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm the the opinion of having one main neutral color with accents of your fun bold colors.  Meaning, I think white/nude/champagne/black/brown/etc. are great for things like tablecloths, tux/suit, and anything else that is "large" in space, and colors like pink/purple/yellow/turquoise/etc are great for things like overlays, napkins, BM dresses, flowers, and anything else "small" in space. (yes I know BM take up more than a small space, but I think they are an exception to the rule)  When there are too many bold colors, the colors take over and make things more juvenile like prom, sweet 16, and birthday party. 

I also think it's ok to have any color combo any time of year.  Just because it's winter doesn't mean you have to have red roses, and just because it's fall doesn't mean you have to have pumpkins and orange. 
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    You can choose ANY colors you want, you don't have to try to match them to the season.  I got married in the fall and had black, white and yellow for my colors (those would have been our colors no matter what time of the year we married).

In general though, I think pairing a pop of color or two with a great neutral really helps ground your colors and keeps it from looking too girly.  Gray, champagne and navy are some of my favorite neutrals used in weddings. (navy can be considered a neutral depending on what you pair it with).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm getting married in June and we're doing a mix of purples and creams. Fiance likes it, which tells me it isn't too girly, haha. I would just make sure to stay away from pink, and like everyone else has mentioned - not too many pastels. Pink screams little girl for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards