Wedding Reception Forum

Restaurant or Final Fantasy Stress?

Hello!!

*Sigh* I'm stressing out. My FI and I have been going back and forth about whether or not we should have our reception at a restaurant or if we should rent out a small-ish space.

We will have between 40 and 60 people, yet another detail to be decided, and I don't want to feel like we're in a cavern. 

Our favorite choices are to find a restaurant that has a side room we can close doors on, and will let us bring in our own cake and customise a menu from their exsisting menu.

Our next favorite is to find an appropriately sized room at a location that uses their own caterers (so we don't have to worry about finding someone else).

Our problem is that if we rent out a space we want to decorate the space with touches of Final Fantasy Tactics (a game we both love). But FFT merchendise that feels wedding-ish is incredibly hard to come by. I would custom make everything but I don't even know if it would be some kind of copyright infringment or if something like that would be covered under The Fair Use Act. 

... *sigh* We REALLY want the FFT theme, even if we custom make everything if it's legal (still looking into it), but neither of use wants the stress of all that. 

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else is trying to do a Final Fantasy themed wedding or has any ideas on how to go about it. Or if the stress isn't worth it for a day that's supposed to be stress-free. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Restaurant or Final Fantasy Stress?

• If the FF theme is that important to you, don't sacrifice it. If you make things yourself and its for a private one time use and you're not selling it or anything it should be covered under Fair Use I believe.
  • Well the idea was that we would commision the various items to be made off of official FF art. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_restaurant-or-final-fantasy-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:24ed6ab7-4450-4305-bf32-8362c1602339Post:142e09eb-f6f0-4e8b-8c8f-4ab8965f4d45">Re: Restaurant or Final Fantasy Stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well the idea was that we would commision the various items to be made off of official FF art. 
    Posted by Comipa[/QUOTE]

This does sound like a pretty serious copyright infringement.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_restaurant-or-final-fantasy-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:24ed6ab7-4450-4305-bf32-8362c1602339Post:b01365b6-32bc-4dfb-b51b-8f0279d397c0">Re: Restaurant or Final Fantasy Stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you want to make money at your reception?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I don't get the impression that OP is looking to make money.  I do agree that commissioning art by anyone other than the original artist or without permission from the original artist is serious copyright infringment. 

OP, just to give you another perspective...some themes can come off as more "kids birthday party" instead of wedding.  I do really like the restaurant idea though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_restaurant-or-final-fantasy-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:24ed6ab7-4450-4305-bf32-8362c1602339Post:b01365b6-32bc-4dfb-b51b-8f0279d397c0">Re: Restaurant or Final Fantasy Stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you want to make money at your reception?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    Not at all. For example I would find some picture, origionally done by the official artist for the game, on the internet and submit it to a company that makes cake toppers or cutouts and then use those items as decor and fun things. <div>
    </div><div>And as far as it looking more like a B-Day party and not a wedding... meh. People who know us would think it's dork-ily cute. </div><div>
    </div><div>So we don't want to make any money off it. But we would have to have a company make the pieces because we do not know how to do that kind of stuff. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    Legalities are normally an issue if you post a video with the game music in the background or an image with your FFT-themed items, since even if you cite the source, you did not ask permission from the company.  For instance, asking a cake baker to custom make a FFT topper isn't copyright infringment (well, it is, but you're not posting it anywhere, so they won't find out).  Posting the image of the cake with the copyright-protected image without the direct consent of the artist is.  My FI and I are having Portal-themed cakes and the baker didn't raise any issues about re-creating the Companion Cube on top of my cake.  To be safe, I would try to contact the public relations department for the creators of the FFT game to see if there are any formalities that need to be followed so that you don't find yourself in court against their lawyers.  I know Valve will be hearing from me soon regarding posting of the images of the Portal-themed cakes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards