Wedding Reception Forum

Karaoke thoughts....yes? no?

My DJ is actually a friend of mine that used to DJ karaoke nights at a local bar. I have a lot of guests that love to sing (and can), but other guests- myself included that love to sing, but can't. Is it fair to make my other guests sit through what could potentially be an awful rendition of a classic song? I was thinking of devoting 15-30 minutes of this IF I decided to do it. I'd like to get some prospective from others to see if this is even a good idea. What do you think?
Anniversary

Re: Karaoke thoughts....yes? no?

• I was at a wedding where there was karaoke.  It was painful.  Yes, karaoke is fun, but once it is karaoke, it is harder to dance to songs, etc.  Plus, even when people CAN sing, it doesn't mean others attending enjoy karaoke
  • This is kind of the feeling I had which is why I was second guessing it and having reservations. No karaoke! Hey...with a little luck maybe we can find a place post reception that has karaoke for the people that really want to have a go at it.
    Anniversary
  • I dont think anyone will be able to dance to karaoke. It will change the whole mode of your wedding. And if you are only going to do it for 15- 30 minutes, you might get 5 songs so I dont see the point.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • When my husband is home we are at our favorite karaoke bar every weekend. But for a wedding, I am not a fan. Don't try to "create" entertainment. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I never even thought of the dancing part... that's a great point.
    Anniversary
  • I wouldn't.  Some people like it, others really don't, plus as PPs have noted, it does make dancing hard.
  • I'm sorry but the minute karaoke would start would be the minute DH and I would leave.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • My partner and I MET at karaoke. We actually had karaoke at our engagement party.  But, for the wedding.. no way.    It just changes the entire tone of the event.

• no,no,no....karaoke is fine for a bar but this is YOUR WEDDING!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sort of hoping that my MOH will ask what I want to do for my bachelorette party and I can say karaoke. XD Maybe that's an option for you, if someone offers to throw one for you, and asks for ideas of what you want. I think it would definitely be a much more fitting activity for a bparty than a reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, just no. 

Like GLB said, if karaoke started up at any wedding, H and I would immediately be grabbing our coats and heading out the door.

• i guess karaoke is great if you go to a bar to watch it (I dont because I hate it) but sorry, imo, not ok for a wedding.

• Save the karoke for the afterparty
  • I LOVE karaoke...but not for a wedding.  Even I wouldn't stay for a wedding-turned karaoke party.  Some people will love it, some will leave, others will cringe in awkwardness.  It's definitely not danceable!  I agree, it WILL change the tone of your event.  I think it's a great idea for an after party or bachelorette night though!
  • Agreed! No Karoke for the wedding. After party -ok.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards