Wedding Reception Forum

Lunch Reception

My reception is over lunch. The ceremony is at 11:30, followed by family pictures. So the reception will start around 1 PM. My questions are...

1) How long does it usually last? I heard about 2 to 3 hours?
2) There will be no dancing/drinking. What are some things I can do? I'm just planning to eat (I mean after all, I should be able to eat something, no?), cut the cake, and go around the tables to say thank you. I think that should take up at least 2 hours. Should I do anything else?
3) Because the ceremony is early in the morning, I need to have portraits/wedding pictures taken after the reception. I heard that the bride/groom need to stay through the end of the reception until all guests leave. I'd love to do it, but I also want to make sure that I can leave the reception site at a decent time so I have some time to take pictures. Is it an absolute no-no that I leave before all the guests?
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Lunch Reception

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    Ours lasted 3 hours. We didn't "do" anything. Good food, music, and conversation seemed to keep everyone happy just fine. I'm not sure what the etiquette is on leaving early. We had to stay to clean up, and we did our pics after the ceremony before the reception.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Many brides and grooms have a "send-off" from their reception, which would necessitate leaving before most of the guests. Other countries have traditions where the bride and groom attempt to sneak out with anyone noticing. I'm not sure if there's an actual etiquette rule on it.
  • during photos you need to provide your guests with things to eat and drink-cocktail hour-but mocktails are finebut you can't have them just sitting around.
    include that in the total 3 hours of the reception.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards