Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Mixing Centerpiece Designs?! [please help!]

I need some advice and opinions for my Old Hollywood Themed wedding.  Our colors are black and white and there will be some color accents based on whatever flowers are in season at the end of October.  With 20 round tables at our reception, I had the idea to mix centerpieces by having 5 of each design:
#1 - Crystal candlesticks.  I'll use 2 candlesticks on each table (one tall, one short) with tealights and lay pearl strings around them amidst other tealights on the table.
#2 - Ostrich feathers.  1white long neck vase [from Ikea] with approximately 5 ostrich feathers sticking out.  I haven't decided yet if I should make the feathers all white, all black or a combination of both?
#3 - Floral.  Some kind of simple floral focus...most likely one or two large blooms submerged in a glass hurricane.
#4 - Black candlesticks.  If I put floral foam on the top of the candlesticks, I can make a white rose "ball" on top of each and drop some black jewels from the candlesticks to add some glimmer without screaming "Bling!!"
Are these cohesive elements?  Or is it all too much?  My mom thinks that having multiple designs will make the reception look "ecclectic" and thrown together...like I can't afford to do all of the tables with one design so she's convinced that I should choose only one or two designs at the most.  Is that just a really traditional viewpoint?  Or is she right...is there a minimal number of centerpieces that should be used?

I really want an Old Hollywood Glam feel without being costumey (pictures of celebreties are not an option).  Honest opinions welcome!!!  Thank you!  :)

Re: Mixing Centerpiece Designs?! [please help!]

• Options
    Personally, I think two kinds is a good number for varying centerpeices. I would choose the two that fit the best together and with your theme and run with those :-)
  • Options
    Honestly, it all sounds like too much going on.  ITA with the PP--find the 2 that go the best and stick with them.  Like do one floral and one all candles--that would be a nice contrast I think, yet it would still look put together. 
  • Options
    I agree with pps.  It's just too much of a good thing.  =)  Choose your two favorites and go with that. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree that you don't want 4 or 5 different styled centerpieces. However, you could consider doing a couple of different ones per table.

For example, since candlelight is always nice on a table, do a candlelight centerpiece AND a non-candlelight on each table. In other words, the taller centerpiece is candle or non-candle, the shorter ones flanking on each side are the opposite.

I guess it depends on your taste and how much you want to spend. Our wedding is black, white & silver. I'm alternating tall centerpieces with branches & white flowers, and the other tables will have shorter silver bowls with white flowers. On either side of each, however, I have 9 inch tall white wrought iron candlesticks with crystals hanging down, and a glass hurricane top, with a candle inside. These will be surround by glass votive holders that have vellum overlays with our primary print in black, which is damask and toile.

Good luck.
  • Options
    4 or 5 is too much, I would definitely just pick your 2 favorites. You want contrast, but not that much.
    I'm married!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards