Wedding Reception Forum

need input!!

hello!

my FI and i are thinking of giving small video cameras to our best man and maid of honor (as gifts) and to also record the wedding day getting ready and reception instead of hiring a videographer. we're pretty creative and could probably put together something awesome from the footage. is anyone else doing this or has heard of people doing this??

thanks!
best.day.ever.
imageAnniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: need input!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2eec8171-846b-45d4-9788-f4d333a968bdPost:068eeb39-3311-4e6d-8f46-2907f7874fb7">need input!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]hello! my FI and i are thinking of giving small video cameras to our best man and maid of honor (as gifts) and to also record the wedding day getting ready and reception instead of hiring a videographer. we're pretty creative and could probably put together something awesome from the footage. is anyone else doing this or has heard of people doing this?? thanks!
    Posted by jthom001[/QUOTE]

This is not a gift, its material compensation for a service. I would hate being stuck videotaping a friends wedding. Get someone else to do it, and give that person some actual compensation. People should not have to work for their "presents"
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    LOL! This is priceless.  Hilarious.  You want to put your BM and MOH to work and disguise it as a gift????  Wow, people are getting more and more creative. 
  • I would not do this.  Please do not give your WP or guests a job.  Let them enjoy the party, not worry about ruining a video for you.

You can hire a student to do home video of your wedding really cheap if you do not want to pay a professional.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • i'm very shocked at how rude these responses are. just plain rude. 
    best.day.ever.
    imageAnniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2eec8171-846b-45d4-9788-f4d333a968bdPost:761f999c-1bc3-456a-bfbc-57b291603cdd">Re: need input!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]i'm very shocked at how rude these responses are. just plain rude. 

Not even close.  You're lucky you didn't post during the week.

And yes, you need to rethink this idea.  Presents with strings attached aren't really gifts.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• i like the idea of video cameras as a gift- but definitely wouldn't want them to be stuck having to film the day- won't they be a little busy during the ceremony??
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2eec8171-846b-45d4-9788-f4d333a968bdPost:068eeb39-3311-4e6d-8f46-2907f7874fb7">need input!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]hello! my FI and i are thinking of giving small video cameras to our best man and maid of honor (as gifts) and to also record the wedding day getting ready and reception instead of hiring a videographer. we're pretty creative and could probably put together something awesome from the footage. is anyone else doing this or has heard of people doing this?? thanks!

Wow.  Sorry but this is just an awful plan.  Let's imagine the convo for a minute:

"Here's a gift for you.  Now, instead of enjoying our reception as a guest, you'll be working all night using our "gift" to make a video for us.  And then after the reception is over, you'll be editing the video for us.  Aren't we just so very thoughtful?"

Thank your lucky stars that 1)  you asked this on a weekend instead of a weekday.  Because if you think these replies are snarky, you're in for a real shock.  and 2)  you asked for advice here before springing this terrible idea on your friends.  Because we'll tell you here what people will be thinking but won't say because they won't want to hurt your feelings. 

If you want a video, hire a videographer.  But don't pretend you're getting your friends a gift.  Because anything that's for your wedding isn't a gift to them....it's a gift for yourself.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_need-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2eec8171-846b-45d4-9788-f4d333a968bdPost:74635e3b-f691-4ee4-91a2-47fb4e739e77">Re: need input!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to need input!! : Wow.  Sorry but this is just an awful plan.  Let's imagine the convo for a minute: <strong>"Here's a gift for you.  Now, instead of enjoying our reception as a guest, you'll be working all night using our "gift" to make a video for us.  And then after the reception is over, you'll be editing the video for us.  Aren't we just so very thoughtful?" </strong>Thank your lucky stars that 1)  you asked this on a weekend instead of a weekday.  Because if you think these replies are snarky, you're in for a real shock.  and 2)  you asked for advice here before springing this terrible idea on your friends.  Because we'll tell you here what people will be thinking but won't say because they won't want to hurt your feelings.  If you want a video, hire a videographer.  But don't pretend you're getting your friends a gift.  Because anything that's for your wedding isn't a gift to them....it's a gift for yourself.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the op didnt even bother to pretend that she thought these people might want the cameras, or that any sort of generosity or appreciation for their friends ever was concidered in this "gift" in another board she posted this under "DIY Videographer"
    Its never okay to force your friends to work for you, even if you call them a gift.
  • haha.  My mom suggested a similar thing.  She dropped the idea real fast when I said my brother should have to do it instead.  (I wasn't serious about my brother taking video, but it was a good way to show her the idea was bad without actually telling her.)
  • NO, NO, NO!  You do not put wedding party or guests to work at a wedding unless they volunteer to help.

My guest book will have a sign that asks people to sign it, other wise it will sit alone at a table

My fan programs & bubbles wil be in baskets just inside the ceremony area, again it will sit alone.

My photographer will be paid to take my pictures!
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards