Wedding Reception Forum

Allow guests to get their own plates & napkins, or already have it set up for them?

I am kind of stuck on whether or not I should already have the plates, silverware & napkins set up at each seat for my guests or just put them on a counter for people to get themselves. I know that everyone won't eat, so I really don't want the tables to look messy, but I am not sure which would be better to do. Let me know your opinions on this!

Re: Allow guests to get their own plates & napkins, or already have it set up for them?

• Thanks for the opinions! I haven't completed the menu just yet, but so far it is mostly finger foods.

• If it's buffet style, allow them to get their plates.  But I do agree that it's easier when flatware is already at the table.  Plus, I usually forget to get a spoon or something I need, but if it's at the table I wont forget.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Have everything at the table except the plates so no one is messing with flatware, napkins, etc while dealing with their plate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_allow-guests-their-own-plates-napkins-already-set-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3c45380a-368e-4dc1-baa4-4d00c60e34b5Post:7e63f9c7-a1d8-4e7f-aaa6-70fffa0bbcc6">Re: Allow guests to get their own plates & napkins, or already have it set up for them?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have everything at the table except the plates so no one is messing with flatware, napkins, etc while dealing with their plate.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>And also I'd plan that most if not all people will eat. I've <em>never </em>heard of someone who has a choice just not eating at a wedding.</div>
  • I agree with PPs.

Is this just finger foods? just cake? or a whole meal? If it's a "light refrehsments" situation, and you're using little cocktail plates, just have them by the food, same with the minimal silverware that might be necessary. Anything else, I agree with PPs.
  • "allowing" me to get my napkins is like "allowing" me to clean up dinner-i mean it sounds like you're doing me a favor letting me get my own napkin. if i have to carry a plate, in a gown in heels please make it as easy as possible for me. have them already at the place settings along with silverware. if it's abuffet they will take a plate next to the food.

• It depends. Are you having assigned seating ? Or is it more of a cocktail style reception? If the idea is more to stand and mingle then you may want to keep the plates by the food. This way people do not assume they are sitting all night.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards