Wedding Reception Forum

At home reception ideas?

My fiance and I are fronting all the costs of the wedding and reception ourselves.  Our guest list isn't that big for invitse nevermind that I am not counting on much of my family to attend as it is 700 miles from my hometown and I moved out here as we decided it was easier.  we were thinking to save money we could have a gathering after the wedding at our home?  Or maybe go out to dinner first then invite people for desserts etc?  Any ideas? Id really like to enjoy the ceremony get a nice attire and flowers rather then spend a ton on a reception.......
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: At home reception ideas?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_home-reception-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3e918d06-b809-4edc-8c3b-1ca5e81f6a4aPost:af7963d3-cba2-4f27-a5bb-ba7a51cc136f">At home reception ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are fronting all the costs of the wedding and reception ourselves.  Our guest list isn't that big for invitse nevermind that I am not counting on much of my family to attend as it is 700 miles from my hometown and I moved out here as we decided it was easier.  we were thinking to save money we could have a gathering after the wedding at our home?  Or maybe go out to dinner first then invite people for desserts etc?  Any ideas?<em><strong> Id really like to enjoy the ceremony get a nice attire and flowers rather then spend a ton on a reception.</strong></em>......
    Posted by MrandMrsHoagland[/QUOTE]

It just rubs me the wrong way.  You're doing everything for YOU then-nice attire, flowers, but not wanting to do anything for your guests.

I'm not really sure I understand what you're planning.  You and your FI and your small guest list having a ceremony...and then what?  You and your FI go out to dinner and ask the guests to come over for dessert?  You just can't do that.

If you're inviting your guests to the ceremony, I'd find it very odd and insulting for you two to go to dinner, not including me and then ask me over for desserts later.

If that's not what you're planning, I apologize, but that's what I got from your post.

You know, you still can have the attire and flowers in a simple wedding followed by a cake and punch reception for your guests.  It won't cost much, but it will let you have your ceremony and something immediately following for the guests.

It's really poor form to get the fancy dress and designer flowers, and not provide for the guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_home-reception-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3e918d06-b809-4edc-8c3b-1ca5e81f6a4aPost:72287091-a23e-4685-af66-dfae88322651">Re: At home reception ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's nothing wrong with having an at home reception, just don't ditch your guests for a few hours while you eat dinner. At home receptions are great, especially since you avoid paying the often huge site fees that banquet halls and hotels charge.  If you have a large house/yard, you could even hire a caterer to come in.  They often can provide everything needed - bartender, tables and chairs, etc.  Definitely worth looking into.  Or I'm sure there are reasonably priced restaurants who can provide a space for you and your guests.
    Posted by Islamorada14[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to ditto this entire post. I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I think I may have typed it wrong... we plan to include our guests at the dinner and pay for it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also not doing designer flowers or dress doing everything on a budget really when I say Id like a nice dress etc I mean Id like an actual wedding dress rather then a sundress from Kmart.  Just wanted Ideas on what to do for the reception... I like the cake and punch thing but we are still thinking taking everyone to dinner first and are looking for inexpensive alternatives to a full out formal reception.  Believe me I would like to do all the bells and whistles we just really cant.  I know it is 18 months away but we will really need a new car by then and a few other bills need to be settled.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards