Wedding Reception Forum

Reception in Two Rooms?

The place we like best for our ceremony and reception has two reception rooms.  It's an old barn basement and a corn crib turned room.  Both are beautiful, but both are too small for us to fit all of our guests, so we'd have to use both.  Plus, we'd have to remove tables for dancing.  There is a typical size door way between, but there is still a stone wall otherwise.  Any ideas on how this would work?  Is it rude as the couple to not be in the same room as our guests?  Thanks!

Re: Reception in Two Rooms?

• If not everyone can fit in the room, then everyone in the second room will miss the dances, the toasts, the cake cutting...  Basically they'll be out for all the special moments.  The guests in whichever room you're not in will feel second-class.  I would either find a venue that can hold everyone in the same room, or cut your guest list so everyone will fit in this one.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Yep, rude to split the guests. Cut down on your guest list or find a new venue.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• ditto everyone else here.  It's your dream venue, but it's a nightmare to half your guests.  Which matters more to you?  Your venue or your guests?  There's your answer.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In general I would agree with the PPs, but I have been to one wedding where this worked.  At the beginning of the reception, all the guests entered, sat in one of the two rooms, and began eating (I think each room had it's own food stations, but with all the same food).  After dinner, the bride and groom and bridal party and family came from the smaller room into the larger room so everyone could see the first dance, father-daughter/mother son, and slideshow.  After that, dancing begun, and partway into dancing, the couple cut the cake.  No one missed anything because after dinner, the extra room was pretty much abandoned.

If one of your rooms is large enough to accomodate everyone after the meal has been served, you can make this work.
  • I'm with the pp's. If I went to a wedding and I was made to eat in a different room then everybody else, I'd be po'd.

My reception venue has two rooms but we're using one as the dinner area and the other as the dancing room. Once we're done eating we'll do the toasts and then ask everyone to join us upstairs for our first dance. Still trying to figure out how/where we should cut the cake though...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-two-rooms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:3fed30ca-41ee-4675-a192-e8cd8892aaf0Post:2fd008ce-4e73-41c1-8fe9-b1316d2dc0ac">Re: Reception in Two Rooms?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, rude to split the guests. Cut down on your guest list or find a new venue.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards