Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Evening Reception

Hi,

So I am thinking about doing an evening cocktail reception with just drinks, passed appetizers, and dessert, instead of a full dinner reception. The part that I am having a hard time figuring out is that my ceremony and reception are at the same venue...and it is in the country. 

Do you think that it is inappropriate to not serve dinner, which would require guests to travel to the nearby town after the ceremony to eat then come back for the reception? I really don't know if it would work...

Or should I have the ceremony in the early evening with only a very short break for photography, so that guests can eat before anything starts, and they can stick around the site the entire time without having to leave and come back? If I were to do this, what time would you suggest I have the ceremony and reception, so that people know to eat beforehand? How well do you think an evening ceremony would work (ie. for photography, lighitng, etc.)?

Re: Evening Reception

• Options
    If you want to have an apps-only reception, I would have the ceremony and reception together, at a time that is not a normal meal time.  For example, you could start the ceremony at 8:00 PM, and the reception at 9:00.  That way, your guests could have dinner before the ceremony, and you wouldn't have a long gap between ceremony and reception.
  • Options
    When would I do formal photography? Would I have to do photos before the ceremony?
  • Options
    If you don't mind the groom seeing you before the ceremony then you can have the photoshoot before the ceremony. It can be an hour before the ceremony, since you'll be having a summer wedding there will still be some daylight at 7pm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's rude to send guests off to the town to get their own dinner while you take pictures.  
  • Options
    You can't send your guests off to forage for food so that you can have photos taken.  That's just very ungracious.

Have your ceremony later, and start your cocktail type reception for your guests while you are having photos taken.  You don't have to be present for the whole reception if you're having an appetizer type menu.

Do as many of the photos before (if you don't want to see your groom) and then finish with the ones that need to include both of you.  It will cut down on the photo time.

Or do a "first look" session, and then go right into the party after the ceremony.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_evening-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5273107d-cf1a-499d-bd6e-2f6244e26e00Post:17021c39-3189-4e54-b65a-15886881eed0">Evening Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, So I am thinking about doing an evening cocktail reception with just drinks, passed appetizers, and dessert, instead of a full dinner reception. The part that I am having a hard time figuring out is that my ceremony and reception are at the same venue...and it is in the country.  <strong>Do you think that it is inappropriate to not serve dinner, which would require guests to travel to the nearby town after the ceremony to eat then come back for the reception?</strong> I really don't know if it would work... Or should I have the ceremony in the early evening with only a very short break for photography, so that guests can eat before anything starts, and they can stick around the site the entire time without having to leave and come back? If I were to do this, what time would you suggest I have the ceremony and reception, so that people know to eat beforehand? How well do you think an evening ceremony would work (ie. for photography, lighitng, etc.)?
    Posted by danimals[/QUOTE]
    Extremely so.  They're your guests from the moment they walk into the ceremony until they leave the reception, they must be hosted the entire time.  If your event overlaps with a mealtime, you must serve a meal or its equivalent.  If people leave to get food, they're probably not coming back.

We had a 7:30pm ceremony.  The full timeline is in my bio, but basically we did pictures with the WP (and my parents) from 4:30-6:30, did some shots with just the two of us until about 7:00, then went back up for the ceremony.  Everything was in the same venue, so after the ceremony we recessed into the hall just outside, grabbed a few shots with his family, then came in and immediately started the reception.  About an hour into the reception, we gathered everyone and did one big shot with his family and one big shot with mine.  The reception was cocktail style, but we had a metric crap-ton of food.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Listen to PPs suggestions about timing.  Also, on the invitation I would write "cocktail reception to follow" so that it is clear to guests that they will not be getting dinner.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone...that's kind of the timeline that I was leaning towards myself.

I like the idea of the "first look" photo shoot, and doing the majority of the pictures before the ceremony...it's the best option for an evening event, since I will likely have most of my pictures taken outdoors.

Now to finish convincing my fiance...
  • Options
    If you are dead set on having an earlier reception, you need to have heavy apps.
    Our reception is to start at 6pm. Which it dinner time in most ppl's minds. So we are having a couple of different huge apps.

DEF. don't think that ppl are going to get their own dinner, that is beyond rude!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards