Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Too late to book a May wedding??

I just got engaged, and one of our favorite venues was booked solid through 2012.  They just called to say they had a cancellation, and offered us an evening in May at the off season price!  Is it worth trying to plan a wedding in four months though, is it enough time for a dress and everything else?

Re: Too late to book a May wedding??

• Options
    Congratulations on your engagement.  I think you have enough planning time.  Do you have your budget figured out, or do you need more time to save?

I agree with PP that you should make sure any must-have vendors are free, although I think the officiant is the only must-have, unless you have your heart set on a particular photog or something.
  • Options
    Sure you can.    The reason I had a longer engagement was because of work timing. I might have had to make a few compromises, but for the most part I could have easily had a 6 month engagement.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We were engaged in February and married in June. TOtally doable.  GL!
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    A 5 month engagement is ABSOLUTELY doable! I got engaged in July and am getting married in February (not quite 7 months) and so far it's been much easier and less stressful than I anticipated. Granted, having a winter wedding has been great since we're not competing with everyone for dates, venues and vendors - plus we've gotten some fabulous discounts for booking in the off-season.

I was most worried about being able to find and order a dress in time, but that was one of the first things I did and my dress arrived 2 weeks later! As long as you can take care of the important things first, everything else will fall into place. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I booked my November wedding in July. The only thing I had a hard time with in NJ was The Photographer of my choice. If you do book now start calling photographers immediately. I found my dress quickly it was Demetrios from Macy's bridal and it came in and was altered on time. My only advice is be extremely organized.
  • Options
    I think it's totally doable. We decided to wait a year due to budget and timing but I could have done all the planning in 5 months. Like PPs mentioned, the only issue might be finding available photographers, DJs, etc.
  • Options
    My sister did hers in 3 months and it turned out well. I think you should go for it. Recruit you mom, sisters, and friends to help with phone calls and all the little stuff. Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    I think shorter engagements are better. The longer the engagement, the more time you have to keep changing your mind on the details, I know that has happened to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We booked our wedding 5 months out. It's definitely do-able ... and I actually liked doing things this way. I'm incredibly indecisive if I'm in a no-pressure situation (Especially really trivial stuff that does not matter), so being put in that time crunch forced me to make decisions and stick with them, because there was no time for me to over-think and start second-guessing myself.

The hardest thing will probably be finding a photographer and DJ, so the moment you book, immediately go out and try to get those nailed down immediately after. Otherwise, everything else can easily be taken care of in a short amount of time.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    Insanely doable.  
  • Options
    Thanks all for your advice, I think we're gonna go for it :) One last meeting at the venue this week to make sure it's 100% what we want. Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    Definitely doable! My fiance and I are planning a wedding for the end of April and we just started this month. We've been engaged since 2009 but quite a few things held us back from proceeding. But if you're uncertain or uncomfortable for whatever reason I suggest taking a breather before pushing onward. No two couples are the same when it comes to planning a huge event such as a wedding so be sure to talk to him and see where you both stand and if your sanity is going to go off the charts due to the short time frame. Otherwise I wish you the best in whatever you decide!
    Anniversary

Holiday
  • Options
    You can do it.  I got engaged in January and started putting down deposits in March for a September wedding.  The only small issue I ran into was the date I wanted was already booked at my venue, so I just went with the following day instead.  Everything else worked out fine.  I didn't even get flowers situated until the middle of summer.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Doable, unless you have specific vendors in mind that you really want but that will be booked this close to the date. 

Congratulations, and good luck!

• Options
    You should do it! I got engaged in October and booked my place right away for the end of march. I got my dress already. They said it would take a while to come in, probably so I would order it right away, and it came within a few weeks. Just get one thing done at a time and you'll be fine. If you want a band, then you should look into that next. Meghan
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards