Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Bad lighting in the reception area-- ideas?

To save money, we'll probably have our reception in my church's fellowship hall. It's the perfect size, but the problem is that the lighting is harsh, fluorescent panels. We're having an afternoon wedding and I want the reception to have an afternoon feel-- very difficult in a room in a basement. Does anyone have ideas for indoor lighting that doesn't give a dusky, evening feel, but rather a cheerful, springtime feel? If it helps, the theme of our wedding is a French picnic (because my fiance and I met studying abroad in Normandy :D). 

Re: Bad lighting in the reception area-- ideas?

• Options
    If it's in your budget I would get a lighting company in.  Uplighting does such wonderful things to a room and maybe you can do a sort of draping over the lights in the ceiling so they aren't so harsh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think your going to save money by having your reception at your church if you have to spend a bundle on a lighting solution.
  • Options
    look for battery lighty in led  as well as look for battery operated UNDER vase lighty in led
  • Options

Talk to your florist or your DJ about whether they have ideas about lighting.  Sometimes you can change the whole look and feel of the room by adding lighting.

• Options
    Maybe the more flattering 'pink' florescents would work if you replaced the bulbs?

Or add pretty lamps scattered about with warm-colored shades.
  • Options
    Try draping fabric over the lights to dim the intensity (like white or black lace- just don't use colors). You can try to get those spot-light floor lamps, or anything that would create up-lighting for the corners, (Walmart has a bunch) and use a TON of candles for the tables.

Or turn them off completely and attach a TON of Christmas lights on the ceiling.

DJs often bring lighting, so they can help light the dance floor.
    Two Drifters Off To See The World...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards