Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Maroon in June?

My fiance and I have chosen a beautiful new construction banquet room at an affiliated church for our reception and got a great deal on it, too! We love that it has high ceilings and a lot of windows for our morning reception, and also love that it incorporates our church affiliation.

The only problem? The chairs and tableclothes are maroon. Personally, I can't think of any color I desire to incorporate less than maroon. My fiance and I are NOT willing to take money out of our savings account or already tiny honeymoon fund to provide our own tableclothes or chair covers, and with our guest list growing by the day, we can't really cut funding from anything else, so the maroon is going to have to stay. There really isn't another option.

We have not chosen colors yet and would like to do so soon. Any ideas for what we can do to keep the maroon from being too overpowering for a breakfast reception in June? What colors can we choose to soften these dark, dreary tableclothes? Right now, we are only subtly decorating the venue, which has light gray tile floors and off-white walls with a ton of exposed woodwork.

The Finger Lakes in June are bright and airy in the morning, and I am stumped on incorporating maroon...
Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013

Re: Maroon in June?

• Options

I would recommend going to a home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot) and finding a similar maroon on one of the paint cards in the paint area. Then, hold it up to colors you like. You can use the maroon (if you choose) in very infinitismal amounts as an accent with colors you decide you like with it. Then if you can find 2 colors you like (say a bright yellow and maybe cream , white or gold), use those as your main colors.

There are also people who say that it doesn't matter what color the carpet and chairs are, use what you want. Our colors were black, cream/white and silver accents. Our venue had blue patterned carpet and royal blue leather on the chairs. I didn't even try to incorporate it, and no one noticed. Granted, the blue didn't clash with our colors the way Maroon might.

Don't worry about the season: our wedding in August had black & white. Doesn't matter.

• Options
    Thanks! Your wedding sounds like it was beautiful Smile

I guess it just kind of clashes with our countryside getaway theme... His family is coming in from a big city and have never been here before. But I guess a few really tacky tableclothes won't ruin their getaway to wine country!
    Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013
  • Options
    What about Maroon with brown and white...I think the brown will give you more an earthy/rustic look. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    i think there's a way to incorporate marroon no matter where you are/what time of year it is, if that's what you really want! i think it would be pretty even with hot colors like brighter pinks, and then white or cream, but keep it simple! pairing it with other dark colors might make it too wintery =)

either way sounds like it will be gorgeous!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry at all about incorporating maroon into dresses or flowers for the ceremony or anything like that. Those things stand on their own.

To lighten up the room for the reception, I'd go in one of two directions -- either floral centerpieces made up of whites and creams to give a nice light touch to the maroon or bright colors like hot pinks and shades of purples with white to give a brighter pop. If you've got the budget, you could add chargers to the tables to lighten it, but even if not, you'll probably already have bread plates, coffee cups, etc. on the table and they will likely be white. You could also put menus at each place setting in a lighter color to lighten the overall appearance.

Obviously I haven't seen your exact tablecloths and chairs, but maroon can really be very pretty as long as you pair it with lighter colors if you want a light daytime springy look (or golds, bronzes, black, etc. for a more sophisticated evening look).
  • Options
    The maroon tableclothes and chairs would make a lovely backdrop to pale pink, ivory or a pale yellow color.  That would be very summery and pretty.

I agree with PPs idea of going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting paint chips.  I kniow Home Depot has a computer that will give you other colors that will coordinate with the maroon to provide a palette of colors to choose from.

It can be done beautifully.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards