Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Game Ideas

I recently went to a wedding where the DJ tried to keep everyone included in the reception so that it was a fun night! We won't be having alcohol at the wedding so we wanted to keep everyone having fun! The DJ had the tables sing songs with the words "love" in it and the Bride and Groom had to judge it by kissing for a long or short time. I was wondering if anyone else had seen/or is doing games such as this? I dont want like board game type things, but something that will keep the guests interested.

Re: Reception Game Ideas

• I agree. That whole thing about the DJ trying to get guests to sing is annoying.  Playing games at a wedding is dumb.
  • I recently went to a wedding like this, too.  The point where the DJ announced that we all HAD to sing was the point where DH and I said our goodbyes. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • If you have a dj, you shouldn't need games. The dj should be doing his job and getting people out on the dance floor.
    imageimageimage
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Yeah, not good.  Weddings don't need to have activities for guests to enjoy themselves.  The mingling is the activity.  Honestly,I run to the bathroom or the bar every time the dj announces the garter toss, boquet toss, getting to know your tablemates game or the electric slide.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • At my former job they always wanted to do activities at the office holiday party.  I was always like "why can't we just have a party?"  I have the same theory when it comes to weddings.  I will say that what I have seen is the biggest indicator of guests having fun is if the bride and /or groom are on the dance floor.  If they aren't dancing it seems like other people tend to sit out the dancing.  But if at least the Bride is out there a lot of people want to dance with her. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-game-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5b02a0de-388c-4db6-a000-c8c8f9559289Post:8f907685-e280-4fce-be44-84885634e2ac">Re: Reception Game Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>At my former job they always wanted to do activities at the office holiday party.  I was always like "why can't we just have a party?" </strong> I have the same theory when it comes to weddings.  I will say that what I have seen is the biggest indicator of guests having fun is if the bride and /or groom are on the dance floor.  If they aren't dancing it seems like other people tend to sit out the dancing.  But if at least the Bride is out there a lot of people want to dance with her. 
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]
    I went on a department retreat last weekend.  I was a little afraid that there was going to be the dumb organized activities or whatever.  What did we bond over?  Vodka, a pool table, and crappy '90s dance music.  Totally awesome.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Please treat your guests like the adults they are.  They know how to mingle and chat and socialize at a gathering.  The last thing 90% of them will want at a wedding is to be pushed into cheesy games. 

When I go to a wedding, I want to catch up with my niece, my cousin, my uncle that I haven't seen in a long time.  I want to dance with my DH.  I want to reminisce and laugh.

I don't want to play icebreakers or AW trivia games about the bride and groom.  I don't need alcohol to have a good time, and adding "games" isn't going to make the party more fun.  In fact, stopping the dance music to play yet another game is just going to bring the party to a screeching halt, IMO.

A good dj knows how to read a crowd.  He/she knows what to play to get people on the dance floor.  He/she knows when to mix up the music.  He/she doesn't need artificial "fun" to make a party good.

Please don't do games.  I'm with aerin on this.  My DH and I would be leaving early if we had to play games.  Sorry
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree with other posters, please don't do this. I would actually tell my DJ NOT to do anything like that. Not having alcohol is your choice and may contribute to a more subdued party. For me though, drinking or not drinking does not dictate whether I'm on a dance floor all night. I'd just plan an awesome list of must-play songs for your DJ and ask him to read the crowd the best he can to get people to dance. I'd be irritated if I was asked to play games at a wedding reception like it was a children's birthday party.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-game-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5b02a0de-388c-4db6-a000-c8c8f9559289Post:8f907685-e280-4fce-be44-84885634e2ac">Re: Reception Game Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]At my former job they always wanted to do activities at the office holiday party.  I was always like "why can't we just have a party?"  I have the same theory when it comes to weddings. <strong> I will say that what I have seen is the biggest indicator of guests having fun is if the bride and /or groom are on the dance floor.  If they aren't dancing it seems like other people tend to sit out the dancing.  But if at least the Bride is out there a lot of people want to dance with her. </strong>
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

So true! We were exhausted at our reception but stayed on the dance floor the entire evening.
    imageimageimage
  • If you want to do fun games i would not include the guests but have it just be you and your groom. There are fun games you can do that other people will want to watch but many do not like to participate in forced events.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards