Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Food Help?!?!

We are getting married at 12:00pm on a Saturday (of course), the ceremony will be held at the church and reception mosy likely the racquet club.. reception will be "12:30 - 3:30" all we were able to get since there is another wedding afterwards that day.. now to my question, what are y'all's thoughts about food.. what should we serve, we have a very limited budget and I am not sure how much we are going to be able to get out of our budget from the racquet club.

If you were attending a noon wedding what type of "meal" would you be expecting?

TIA for your help and idea's.

Re: Reception Food Help?!?!

• I would expect lunch sized portions of the club's dinner menu.
    I think this is a question best answered by your venue.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2010

I go with something simple, casual, yet slightly elegant. Maybe something like a finger food buffet and champagne punch. 

Things like assorted finger sandwiches, gourmet cheeses and olives, crackers, hearty dips and spreads, trays of fresh fruit and veggies, cocktail meatballs, mini quiches, etc...

If the venue is fairly fancy or elite, then a plated meal or luncheon might be more appropriate.

• Venue is not very helpful.. I have given them an amount and requested suggestions etc and have yet to get anything back.  I would go somewhere else but the facility is beautiful and its 1.2 miles from church and the room cost is based on a very reasonable minumum.  Prob is the food cost is above average, so I am trying to decide if I should do a light lunch or "finger foods".. hope that helps clarify what I am asking.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-food-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:60d6d3e5-d7df-4a3b-b86c-48997ce8e92dPost:70a43a2c-0d19-45ad-85af-d80a84d71481">Re: Reception Food Help?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Venue is not very helpful.. I have given them an amount and requested suggestions etc and have yet to get anything back.  I would go somewhere else but the facility is beautiful and its 1.2 miles from church and the room cost is based on a very reasonable minumum.  Prob is the food cost is above average, so <strong>I am trying to decide if I should do a light lunch or "finger foods"..</strong> hope that helps clarify what I am asking.
    Posted by klickerwedding[/QUOTE]

I would expect a light lunch.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would expect a full lunch.  Have you looked at their regular menu to get an idea of prices?  Also, as beautiful as the venue may be, I'd be concerned if you're not getting great service from them already. 

Your guests will be much more concerned that their food and beverage needs are met before their "visual needs" are met.  The most beautiful scenery will not make up for bad or too little food.

If your budget won't allow for you to feed your guests lunch at this venue, you should consider other options.  Good luck ;)
  • Since your venue is not very helpful have you thought about doing an outside reception possibly at someone's house and rent a tent and some chairs and tables and hire an outside cater?  I do not know what your venue is costing you but this could be a lot cheaper and very nice, I have been to a wedding and receptions in someones backyard and it was lovely.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-food-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:60d6d3e5-d7df-4a3b-b86c-48997ce8e92dPost:68956e3d-85ae-46ff-ab62-82551e189438">Re: Reception Food Help?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would expect a full lunch.  Have you looked at their regular menu to get an idea of prices?  Also, as beautiful as the venue may be, I'd be concerned if you're not getting great service from them already.  Your guests will be much more concerned that their food and beverage needs are met before their "visual needs" are met.  The most beautiful scenery will not make up for bad or too little food. If your budget won't allow for you to feed your guests lunch at this venue, you should consider other options.  Good luck ;)
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

Ditto this, especially since your wedding is this Sept.  They should have responded to you already about menu questions and frankly, all food decisions should pretty much be made by this point.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Your guests aren't going to have a chance to eat before the ceremony, so they're going to be hungry.  If there isn't enough food, it doesn't matter how nice everything else is, they'll leave to go eat.  It's practically an immutable law.

If your venue is being this unhelpful, I'd run screaming into the night.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • thanks everyone!!  I appreciate the feedback.  The church only offers hors d'oeuvres and cheese/fruit trays, which was the main reason for switching it from there. 

My patience is growing very thin w/ them b/c it has been a lot of work, not sure if it is b/c of my budget or what... but yes, I am getting fed up lol

A tent/backyard option is not going to work, we do not know anyone especially in the area we are getting married that would work.

The reception is scheduled to start at 12:30, I don't actually anticipate it starting until about 1:00.

Overall, I think you guys are right, we need to offer at least a light lunch and yes, I need to work on my issues w/ the venue, they are definitely stressing me out.
  • If they're not responding to calls and emails, go to the venue in person and talk to the manager, and don't leave until you get some answers.  You're paying them to offer a service, be persistent.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • No problem.  Why don't you branch out in your search?  I bet there are lots of options within 10 miles or so of the church...  Once you're in the car, it doesn't really matter if you drive 2 minutes or 15 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards