Wedding Reception Forum

Is 10 people per table too many?

I am having 9  60inch rounds and Im assigning 10 people per table, will this be too crowded? Unfortunately our country club us small, therefore this is the only way all of our guest would fit, has anyone else tried these many guests per table?

Re: Is 10 people per table too many?

• jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Oh God, you'll never fit 10 people around a 60" round comfortably.  Eight people will fit comfortably, any more than that and you're going to have uncomfortable guests.  You're going to need to either adjust your guest list or change your venue.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

• It's crowded and not ideal, but not at all unheard of.
  • Uhhh ohh, are you sure? The guy at the country club told us it would be ok. Now Im worried :(
  • The ideal for 60 inch rounds is 8 people, 9 is ok, and many places seat 10 per table. Again, not ideal, but not crazy either.
  • Our venue said the tables sat 8-10. When making my seating chart I sat 8 at most and 9 at some, but not 10 because I figured 10 would be too cramped, and I was right. 9 was kind of pushing it.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• is it a buffet or sit down? if ur having that many people at each table make sure the place settings isnt too many items as in extra cups and utensils keep it simple...
  • It is sit down, yes your right, I will keep it simple. Geez now Im stressin out over this :(
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_10-people-per-table-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:651b53f0-147f-45dc-a6a4-bb6fb3652c7cPost:40d77a5e-65a1-4804-9580-aa618a68ec2d">Re: Is 10 people per table too many?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uhhh ohh, are you sure? The guy at the country club told us it would be ok. Now Im worried :(
    Posted by Miss GS[/QUOTE]

We have 10 people per table.  It's been done at our venue a lot.  Fortunately none of our guests need THAT much room...
  • We did 10 people and everyone lived, I promise.

• We sat 8 at the 60" rounds, and 10 at the 72" rounds.  10 people on a 60" round will be a bit cozy - not ideal, but really also nothing you can't survive.  I woud try to be mindful of anyone that might need extra space.  Also, keep the table clutter very minimal -- tall pillars that have a small footprint, minimal glasses, etc.
  • Thanks Stephie! I feel a lot better now that I have a picture! Your reception looks beautiful, that sort of looks like my vision. Im having lots of white, with touches of yellow, dim lighting with a lot of candles. Ok I can relax a little lol. Thanks for everyone for all the advice :)
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_10-people-per-table-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:651b53f0-147f-45dc-a6a4-bb6fb3652c7cPost:4d150505-00c3-46c3-86af-dd027e5be468">Re: Is 10 people per table too many?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Stephie! I feel a lot better now that I have a picture! Your reception looks beautiful, that sort of looks like my vision. Im having lots of white, with touches of yellow, dim lighting with a lot of candles. Ok I can relax a little lol. Thanks for everyone for all the advice :)

Aww, thanks.  We chose this route as we felt it was better than trying to crowd in more tables to our space.  Our head table was a 72" round with 12 and we didn't feel crowded at all.
  • I thought I heard that 60 inch rounds seat 6-8 people (8 being the max), but if others on here have done with 10, I think you'll be just fine :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have sat 10 to a table - yes I survived, and yes it was incredibly uncomfortable and crowded!  People aren't going to complain to you, they will suck it up and complain about it later.

We have 4 DD's - 3 married.  HARD rule is only 8 to a table.  Guests need enough room to be comfortable.  Yes, the guy at the CC where last DD got married tried to tell us they do 10 all the time.  they may do it, but it's crowded and uncomfortable.   
  • I think they will live. I went to a wedding with 10 chairs per table. I didn't know anyone but my FI at the table and we were both fine. Some people just find things to complain about... But the people who truly love you and care about your day will understand that you had to have an extra 1-2 people at each table to have everyone you care about be at your wedding.
    Good luck, don't stress. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My grandmother is and has been in the restaurant industry for most of her life and said 10 to a 60" round is fine. I hope so as that's what I have planned. Smile
    December 2011 Weddings September Siggy: Shoes
    Vintage shoes I found at an antique store about 10 years ago :)

CIMG0051

Retro/Vintage Siggy Challenge: Favorite Vintage Movie
    sabrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I plan to do 9 at 60" tables.I think that 10 will be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • zoiesmurf, your grandma is a wise woman :)

Thanks a bunch, makes me feel a better. 
  • This sounds rude but when you plan the table assignments.. think about peoples sizes. It sounds horribly rude, I know, but putting 10 overweight people at a table may not work even if the venue says so. (I'm reeeeeally not trying to be mean, I promise) but I have no idea if you have to worry about that for your guests anyway. 

Also, are there a lot of elderly people OR just people who will not get up during the evening (injury or don't want to dance)? If so, putting 10 at the same table may be annoying to them. 

I think 10 is do-able but not love-able if people will be staying in their seats for a longer time than just dinner. Best of luck! [: 
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_10-people-per-table-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:651b53f0-147f-45dc-a6a4-bb6fb3652c7cPost:4ec67be6-1d50-492a-9353-221e5bcec051">Re: Is 10 people per table too many?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This sounds rude but when you plan the table assignments.. think about peoples sizes. It sounds horribly rude, I know,<strong> but putting 10 overweight people at a table may not work even if the venue says so.</strong> (I'm reeeeeally not trying to be mean, I promise) but I have no idea if you have to worry about that for your guests anyway.  Also, are there a lot of elderly people OR just people who will not get up during the evening (injury or don't want to dance)? If so, putting 10 at the same table may be annoying to them.  I think 10 is do-able but not love-able if people will be staying in their seats for a longer time than just dinner. Best of luck! [: 
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's rude, it is the truth.  And I agree with the older comment too, I'm definitely trying to make the 'younger' tables the tables of 10. 
  • Way too many.  Those rounds can only comfortably sit 8.  Our venue says that they have done 10 but they do not recommend it.  Unless you want your guests to sit on eachothers laps.  good luck!
  • Here's a picture of 8 very thin teenagers at a 60" round (I've covered their faces since they're not my kids).

Could you cram two more "average" sized people at that table?  Sure, if you don't care about squishing them.

Photobucket

• actually looking at that picutre, yes I can see where I could fit 2 more people. I think it can be done, but I will shoot for 9 per table. Thanks for all the advice, hope it works out!
  • I went out to dinner a month ago and we had 8 at our 60" round table. My brother and sil arrived, unexpectedly and we had to get 10 in. I was comfortable and thought "hey! I could add an additional couple to each of my tables!" Until they left and my friend's husband begged everyone to scoot over quickly as he had no room and was unable to even fit his legs under the table. This was with 3 kids and 7 adults. It worked, but super cramped. I am not longer planning to add anyone to the tables. GL!
    Siggy Challenge~Fur Baby~September 2012 Board imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we're going 8-10... depending on who is at the tables. In some instances because of who knows who it makes sense to have 10 because they would all want to sit together. In other cases only 8... so to not put 2 people with a group that they don't fit in with just to fill space.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_10-people-per-table-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:651b53f0-147f-45dc-a6a4-bb6fb3652c7cPost:f12f76a7-f261-4440-9210-b18fa18ce778">Re: Is 10 people per table too many?</a>:
    [QUOTE]actually looking at that picutre, yes I can see where I could fit 2 more people. I think it can be done, but I will shoot for 9 per table. Thanks for all the advice, hope it works out!

<div>9 is doable, though I do not feel it's ideal.  I feel that with 10, not everyone is going to be able to "scoot" all the way in close to the table (depending on the chair type, even with 9 it can be hard to get all the way up to the table).</div><div>
    </div><div>But by all means, they're your guests, seat them however you want to.  I mean it's YOUR day and all.</div>

Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards