Wedding Reception Forum

You are probably going to think I'm nuts... but I need help with our cake!

My fiance and I are planning our own wedding on a small budget (but with 200 guests for dinner!) A huge expense for us that we couldn't figure out how to change was the cake. We were looking at a minimum of $600 for a cake.

So I had an idea....

We bought the "celebration cake" from a local restaurant and it was delicious. But it's premade, frozen and thawed. It is also only made in one size so each small cake serves 6-8. But it's only $7/cake! I was thinking we could buy a nice stand and have a two or three tiered out but have the rest in the back and have that cut and plated. (It matches our colors)

How do you feel about this? If my guests found out about this would they feel I was being incredibly cheap? 35 of these would cover us and it would only cost my $300(with tax) instead of over $600.

Please let me know your opinions! Thanks!

Re: You are probably going to think I'm nuts... but I need help with our cake!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_probably-going-think-im-nuts-but-need-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:796b76c9-57d4-4419-8b93-bda34778292ePost:8e1cba17-bcf2-4a45-aed2-4aef53448eb1">You are probably going to think I'm nuts... but I need help with our cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are planning our own wedding on a small budget (but with 200 guests for dinner!) A huge expense for us that we couldn't figure out how to change was the cake. We were looking at a minimum of $600 for a cake. So I had an idea.... We bought the "celebration cake" from a local restaurant and it was delicious. But it's premade, frozen and thawed. It is also only made in one size so each small cake serves 6-8. But it's only $7/cake! I was thinking we could buy a nice stand and have a two or three tiered out but have the rest in the back and have that cut and plated. (It matches our colors) How do you feel about this? If my guests found out about this would they feel I was being incredibly cheap? 35 of these would cover us and it would only cost my $300(with tax) instead of over $600. Please let me know your opinions! Thanks!
    Posted by mexitalican[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm doing smaller cakes for my centerpieces.  Each cake serves a table, and we made our own cakestands to compliment the decor.  </div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.soyoureengayged.com/kellys-ideas/make-your-own-cake-stand-martha-monday/">http://www.soyoureengayged.com/kellys-ideas/make-your-own-cake-stand-martha-monday/</a>

</div>
  • My sister did centerpiece cakes, they were a big hit.  Each table had a different flavor, and people seemed to enjoy going around to try different ones.  But if you're just talking about having a small show cake and then cutting up the rest in the back, that's perfectly fine.  In fact, that's usually the recommended route for couples on a budget.  (And your venue staff will thank you; cutting tiered cakes is a MASSIVE pain in the ass.)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010

It's budget friendly and delicious? That's kind of a no-brainer to me. Perhaps I'm a little uncultured, but to me, good cake is good cake. I don't care how much or how little it costs.

Seriously, you could serve me Dollar Store cake and so long as it tasted good, I'd be happy.

So I say go for it!

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I think its a great idea! I would keep them all the same flavor though. We didnt have much budget for cake either $200 for 150-175 people. So we bought cupcakes at .80 cents each and then a cake for the fiance and I. It will be easier then having someone cut up pieces and it wont require plates and silverware in addition. Our total for 175 guests and us and a cake topper came in at $215... yay being close to budget.
  • I think it's fine.

You may also find that you can save money by doing a small decorated cake, and serving your guests sheet cake from the back.  I'm pretty sure grocery store sheet cake is less than $1/slice.  
  • I think it's a good idea and i'd be pretty happy as a guest.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think its a fine idea...Around here we are often opting for cupcakes all set up in a cute way too... also can be a reasonable alternative and you save a plating fee ..( some venues charge $1 a piece for that!)   I did that and about 3  were left... even non cake  people took theirs home... 
    We had a small cutting cake too.. for the process. 
  • My cake is 220 so youre good to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding wear they did coldstone creamer cakes for each table and it was awesome!
  • It's your wedding. If you feel the cake is tasty and can serve all your guests, then go for it. Smart thinking ;)
    Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards