Wedding Reception Forum

Potluck wedding reception?

My fiance' and I are going to be on a very limited budget for our wedding, and are trying to allocate funds to what we feel strongly about. I am stuck on the idea of food. My ideal wedding has fresh fruit, cheeses, wine, olives, and little unique appetizers. I know this is going to run about $1500 or more for our 150 guests. My fiance' suggested that perhaps we should just have a potluck. He says that in the small town we are in, this is done frequently where the close family cooks and brings things like cassaroles, etc. One problem here is that this would be mostly the groom's family, as only my mom lives near enough to do this. Another is that downhome cooking isn't exactly my idea of the atmosphere or culinary experience I imagine. But then again, is that more the type of food my (mostly) down home guests would prefer? Am I throwing money away on special food that no one really likes?

Re: Potluck wedding reception?

• I wouldn't do a potluck wedding, even if FI considers it to be common in your area. Inviting people to your wedding means hosting them and there are lots of ways to do this cheaply. Asking them to bring food is rude and then there are also logistical problems with correct storing/heating of food etc.

I like your suggestion of fruit/cheese/appetizers etc. Just be sure to think about the timing of your reception if doing something like this. If it is at a meal time then you would really need heavy apps to feed people properly which isn't always cheaper. That would be fine though at a non meal time and I think a lot of people would enjoy that.

Other suggestions for money saving would be a cake and punch reception in the afternoon (so people could have dinner at home after) or a later ceremony (after dinner) and a dessert reception.

If you decide that food is a priority in terms of budget there are lots of ways to cut back on other areas - the DIY board and budget wedding boards are great resources for helping with that.

Good luck!
  • People always go wrong when they say potluck reception on TK. Nobody is going to agree with a potluck wedding. I had my family offer to make the food for the wedding, which I guess could be considered pot luck. But we didn't ask them, and I also have the type of family that would rather do that than have us shuffle out $70/plate. We gracefully declined as my taste isn't to have that type of wedding. But if you have family who has OFFERED to cook the food for your wedding, I don't see anything wrong with it. This would especially be okay if youwere having your reception at like a township hall or something like that. It's definitely a small town thing, and like I said, the majority of the girls on this website are going to hound you for even suggesting it. But you know your family and guests the best so do what is best for you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just read in one of OP other posts that the wedding is going to be held in your home/yard. I would say having family who have offered prepare the food is fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:51b9a0ac-3cce-4900-a599-0d2882237e91">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just read in one of OP other posts that the wedding is going to be held in your home/yard. I would say having family who have offered prepare the food is fine. 
    Posted by Kokes28[/QUOTE]

According to the OP the family hasn't offered to make anything. It was just her fiancé that suggested it.
  • No the family has not offered, but the wedding is yet in the future --July of 2013. I personally don't prefer the potluck idea...but almost feel like I'm being "uppity" to have fancier foods? I am going against the grain by not having the wedding/ reception in the township hall, as I just don't like that atmosphere.

Yes, I contacted caterer and was told $15 a head or $10 if it was not at meal time. Fiance' suggests midday at 2pm. But, I have visions of dusk time dancing...I love the idea of the dessert reception! Thank you for that suggestion!
  • I soooo feel your pain! We have a very limited budget for our wedding as well. We are going to do the food ourselves, as much as possible. My FI's brother is an AMAZING cook and has offered to do most of the cooking, and a couple other friends/family have also offered to assist with some of their "specialty" dishes. Our wedding/reception is very casual, outside on the beach at a beautiful condo we have rented. I think its all about what your comfortable with! I certainly am not planning on asking everyone to bring a dish to share, like I would for a BBQ. But I have family & friends that are very excited to help us out by preparing some of the food for us. I think thats very special, that they want to be involved & help out with our day. I have a few people that are going to be in charge of making sure food good, and gets cleaned up....but we are keeping food very simple so hopefully there wont be much clean up that needs to be done. Good luck, Hun. Go with your gut. You never get this day back so whatever you decide, make sure YOU are ok with it....to heck with everyone else.   :)
  • I don't think that a family offering to make food is considered to be a potluck. I consider it a potluck when you ask your guests to bring food. 

If the family offers to make the food, you guys can take it up on them if you want or just do cake and punch or desert reception. It's really just a matter of preference. 

Oh and also, have you contacted any restaurants in your area to see if they can cater your reception any cheaper than a caterer?
  • I went to a potluck wedding last fall.  There were about 37 different "salads" at the table and who know what the heck some of them were.  I don't think it's a good idea, I think you should go with heavy appetizers instead.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:7d3dd577-10ae-465d-9178-7e2451a441c9">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a potluck wedding last fall.  There were about 37 different "salads" at the table and who know what the heck some of them were.  I don't think it's a good idea, I think you should go with heavy appetizers instead.
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

<div>This might have just been miscommunication. If it is planned well and thought out well, having your family help out with the food could be very nice. Plus, sometimes home cooked food is better anyways! For my high school graduation open house, we had a local sub shop cater it (I'm only using this example because the surroundings were similar, we did it at home, mid day). It wasn't too expensive and it was well recieved by all guests. They can be arranged nicely, and this way there will be less preperation and clean up!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love when families cook at weddings. It is usually a lot better then the nasty catering that is done at a low-budget wedding. This is a very nice gesture and how things used to be done. If they offer...and it is something you are comfortable with , I would say go for it. And I have been to several potluck parties...I do not think they are rude.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't read the responses, but I will throw this in.
    There IS a difference between having your (willing) family/friends prepare the meal for your guests and serve it as opposed to having a POTLUCK reception.

If people are willing to do the cooking and serving, that's perfectly fine for a casual wedding. Asking your guests to bring a dish is generally considered rude, even if you say that it is normal in the area. There would be food safety (temperature/cleanliness) issues, plus what would happen if you get 25 bowls of mashed potatoes?

As a guest, I would have no clue what to prepare for 50 people, let alone 150. I suggest calling local restaurants or checking at clubs like Sams or Costco for food prices. You may have to alter your vision to fit your budget or the opposite, but I really wouldn't ask your guests to supply the food. HTH :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:9457a6cc-ea24-42ab-9d70-560ed663952a">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : This might have just been miscommunication. If it is planned well and thought out well, having your family help out with the food could be very nice.

Kokes, I'm sorry, but I don't think you are giving very sound advice.  Her family has not offered to cook any of the food, she was talking about having her GUESTS cater her wedding, which is not appropriate.  How would you "plan out" the dishes at a pot luck?  Call your guests and "highly encourage" your next door neighbor to make 150 cupcakes and "strongly suggest" your friend from high school bring mashed potatos...but with no dill because Aunt Sally doesn't like dill?"  It's just rude to demand specifics like that.  If someone is kind enough to bring a dish they can bring what ever they like...even if it means 36 mystery salads.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:6ad2c1db-23d7-4048-8986-480ef124af6b">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : Kokes, I'm sorry, but I don't think you are giving very sound advice.  Her family has not offered to cook any of the food, she was talking about having her GUESTS cater her wedding, which is not appropriate.  How would you "plan out" the dishes at a pot luck?  Call your guests and "highly encourage" your next door neighbor to make 150 cupcakes and "strongly suggest" your friend from high school bring mashed potatos...but with no dill because Aunt Sally doesn't like dill?"  It's just rude to demand specifics like that.  If someone is kind enough to bring a dish they can bring what ever they like...even if it means 36 mystery salads.
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>Kokes, I really think you are confusing potluck with having family cook.  These are two different things.  If the family cooks, you have a group of people who take it upon themselves to make all the food.  They work together, plan the menu, and so on.  With potluck, you are asking each guest that attends to bring a dish to share.  The guests do not get together ahead of time to plan the menu, they aren't working as a group, etc.    </div>
  • No matter how casual the location and style, a wedding is still not the same as a regular GTG.  Potluck (guests providing food) and weddings do not belong together.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:8ae7e863-6a5d-449f-b6cc-a9291a1c9f25">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : This. Kokes, I really think you are confusing potluck with having family cook.  These are two different things.  If the family cooks, you have a group of people who take it upon themselves to make all the food.  They work together, plan the menu, and so on.  With potluck, you are asking each guest that attends to bring a dish to share.  The guests do not get together ahead of time to plan the menu, they aren't working as a group, etc.    
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not stupid, I know what a pot luck is. My very first post on this thread explained that. Which you two obviously didn't read other wise you wouldn't be questioning my basic knowledge of a "potluck" dinner and going into detail about how dumb my response was.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My  biggest problem with potluck is the only people who rep the cost benefits are the couple.   Ingredients are still being bought, time is still being spent making the dish, electricity being used.  So basically money and time is spent, just not by the couple.

Saving money to me is having a backyard BBQ instead of at the Ritz.  Or morning brunch instead of a plated dinner.   Hosting properly is more important to me than having my guests bring food in order for me to have a night wedding I can't afford on my own.

If they offer that is a different story.  I've been to a backyard BBQ wedding once, their moms and siblings all made dishes.  It was very nice. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:d8811e97-b7db-4b44-a69a-ae574d04d8d5">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : I'm not stupid, I know what a pot luck is. My very first post on this thread explained that. Which you two obviously didn't read other wise you wouldn't be questioning my basic knowledge of a "potluck" dinner and going into detail about how dumb my response was.

Potluck generally refers to anyone who eats brings a dish, not just one group of people providing everything.  So based on your statement below, I can see where other posters commented on the confusion.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:05f48cda-7ffe-4691-aa73-121af43baf88">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had my family offer to make the food for the wedding, which I guess could be considered pot luck.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:3aff84aa-3b12-45e9-b7ee-da6fdcc44873">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My  biggest problem with potluck is the only people who rep the cost benefits are the couple.   Ingredients are still being bought, time is still being spent making the dish, electricity being used.  So basically money and time is spent, just not by the couple. Saving money to me is having a backyard BBQ instead of at the Ritz.  Or morning brunch instead of a plated dinner.   Hosting properly is more important to me than having my guests bring food in order for me to have a night wedding I can't afford on my own. If they offer that is a different story.  I've been to a backyard BBQ wedding once, their moms and siblings all made dishes.  It was very nice. 
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>Could the couple offer to pay for the products needed to make the food if family had offered to make the food? That might be a good way to go about it, it woulds till save money but you arent asking your family members who offered to shovel out the money to pay to feed X amount ofpeople.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What you are describing is not a pot luck...it is family style wedding.   In a family style wedding, the family has chosen to bring food to a central location for the reception.  A potluck is when all invited guests are asked to bring a dish.   For a wedding, potlucks are tacky.  Family style weddings can be very beautiful and very heartfelt.

The key difference between a family style wedding and a potluck is that the family has chosen to host as a family.   If the family has not chosen to host, it would be a potluck and an imposition to your guests.  Many families would choose to host a wedding as a family while other families would not. 

To successfully pull off a family style wedding, there needs to be a strong willed person to coordinate the offerings from the family who will ensure that no single family member is overwhelmed and all menu items will work cohesively together.

Family style wedding receptions are generally held in the meeting halls next to the church or a family members back yard. 

There is always the option of a tea and cake reception in which the reception menu is limited to tea and cake and the timing of the wedding and reception is a non-meal time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:d8811e97-b7db-4b44-a69a-ae574d04d8d5">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : I'm not stupid, I know what a pot luck is. My very first post on this thread explained that. Which you two obviously didn't read other wise you wouldn't be questioning my basic knowledge of a "potluck" dinner and going into detail about how dumb my response was.

<div>Perhaps you are the one who should go back and read your responses.  You mention potlucks, but then describe family cooked events and comment on those.  At no point did OP mention that her family had ever offered to cook or that it was even an option.  </div><div>
    </div><div>No one said you were stupid, simply that you are talking about something that is unrelated and irrelevant to what is otherwise being discussed in the thread.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:2e0020c7-fa81-40ae-860e-994626fbcb23">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What you are describing is not a pot luck...it is family style wedding.   In a family style wedding, the family has chosen to bring food to a central location for the reception.  A potluck is when all invited guests are asked to bring a dish.   For a wedding, potlucks are tacky.  Family style weddings can be very beautiful and very heartfelt. The key difference between a family style wedding and a potluck is that the family has chosen to host as a family.   If the family has not chosen to host, it would be a potluck and an imposition to your guests.  Many families would choose to host a wedding as a family while other families would not.  To successfully pull off a family style wedding, there needs to be a strong willed person to coordinate the offerings from the family who will ensure that no single family member is overwhelmed and all menu items will work cohesively together. Family style wedding receptions are generally held in the meeting halls next to the church or a family members back yard.  There is always the option of a tea and cake reception in which the reception menu is limited to tea and cake and the timing of the wedding and reception is a non-meal time.
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This response is perfect.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:a4e7d80d-b2b8-4784-89c1-5aa99bea31f2">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No the family has not offered,<strong> but the wedding is yet in the future --July of 2013.</strong> I personally don't prefer the potluck idea...but almost feel like I'm being "uppity" to have fancier foods? I am going against the grain by not having the wedding/ reception in the township hall, as I just don't like that atmosphere. Yes, I contacted caterer and was told $15 a head or $10 if it was not at meal time. Fiance' suggests midday at 2pm. But, I have visions of dusk time dancing...I love the idea of the dessert reception! Thank you for that suggestion!
    Posted by alannascott80[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason why you can't just save the $10-15/head to have it catered over the next 19 months?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:b6618361-019e-4cf0-b25f-7b5bec1fa312">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Potluck wedding reception? : Is there a reason why you can't just save the $10-15/head to have it catered over the next 19 months?
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

<div align="left">This. You have a year and a half until your wedding. $10/person is <strong>REALLY</strong> cheap for catering. If you save approximately $80 a month over the next 19 months, you'll have more than enough money to afford catering.</div>
    Anniversary
  • I would not do a potluck for the reasons PP's have mentioned.  However, if you are looking for an inexpensive way to host, there are a lot of options. 

My sister and her husband bought meat at Costco, and smoked it themselves.  My mom offered to make potato salad, they bought a lot of green salad with a variety of dressings, some buns, baked beans, etc and had a BBQ for about $3pp.

If you wanted to do a heavy app or dessert reception, you should really look into catering from Costco or other local restaurants as they are usually cheaper in comparisson to "wedding" caterers.
    Anniversary
  • providing food for your guests at your reception isn't uppity, it's the correct way to host a reception.

• I am always amused at some of the sparks my questions cause on this site. A few months ago I would get almost offended, but now you guys are truly amusing to read! Thanks for the useful bits of info here and there!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_potluck-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7fe0af6b-6480-4945-b32a-dd500ab18d23Post:c2ff500f-4395-498d-9cef-dcec77ee32eb">Re: Potluck wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am always amused at some of the sparks my questions cause on this site. A few months ago I would get almost offended, but now you guys are truly amusing to read! Thanks for the useful bits of info here and there!
    Posted by alannascott80[/QUOTE]

So are you thanking the validation from the (wrong) users who said its perfectly fine/do what you want? Or are you thanking those that said a family style (NOT potluck) would be okay?

Just so we're clear what direction you're taking from this thread...
  • Haven't read the PPs, but I know theknot consensus on potlucks. I'm posting to break the consensus.

First, you can do a cake and punch reception for less than $2/person. So if you want to host the reception yourselves, you totally can in that budget.

Second, maybe not quite potluck weddings, but weddings where the food was supplied by family and close friends used to be normal, and in some circles still are. Where they fit the attitude of the bride, groom, families, and a good number of the guests, I think they're delightful.

Personally, I'd stick with the elegant vibe you seem to want and do a cake and punch reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards