Wedding Reception Forum

Father/Daughter dance with groom and his young daughters?

My fiance has 2 little girls who will be 5 and 4 by the time we get married.  Should there be a separate father/daughter dance for them?  If so, any ideas?  I was thinking something like Skinamarinky Dink I Love You, but is that going to be overly cheesy or necessary?  Or should I think about them dancing at the same time I dance with my Dad?  Confused!  Help!!!

Re: Father/Daughter dance with groom and his young daughters?

• I don't think it's necessary for them to have a special spotlight dance.  This is your wedding, between you and your fiance.  He can dance with them at some point in the night, but I don't think it needs to be set apart or something the guests have to all sit and watch.  If anything, the only place it would be appropriate would be during your first dance as husband and wife, having them join in halfway through or something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for your response.  That's how I was feeling too, but wasn't sure if that made it sound like I wanted all the attention for just us.  I definitely don't want to be an attention-hungry bridezilla, but am definitely about making the day our day.  Thanks!
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I think the groom dancing with his daughters is sweet.  He could dance with them at any time during the reception, but does not need, and probably should not be a planned spotlight dance.

No matter how you have it planned, little kids don't always cooperate or perform on cue.

I say this because the last wedding I attended, they had a spotlight dance planned with the groom and his new 3-4 year old stepdaughter.  They normally just adore each other, but when the dance started, they literally had to drag her away from her cake.  She spent the whole dance mad and pouting, making it awkward and embarrassing for everyone to watch.  She was tired, cranky, and stressed, and just wanted to sit with Grandma and eat her dang cake.
  • What does your FI want to do? Let him make the decision. It's a very sweet thought and I'm sure the guests would find it adorable, but I think it will lose a lot of meaning if you are the one to set it up (as opposed to your FI making the decision and picking a song).
  • I disagree with the previous comments. When my dad remarried my sister and I were about the same age as your soon-to-be stepdaughter and we had a father/daughter dance to Beauty and the Beast. It was short and my sister and I both danced with him and it means a lot to me now that they included us.

It's your fiance's call. If you do it, let him pick a song that makes him think of his girls. Keep it short. They will remember it forever and you may possibly endear yourself to them as they think about how you were all merged into a family on that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards