Wedding Reception Forum

Indivual Table Cakes

My future MIL, fiance, and I were discussing the possibility of forgoing the traditional large cake (or more modern cupcakes) for small cakes on each of the tables (in a variety of flavors).  I think this sounds like a fun way for people to mingle, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this done?  Is some type of annoucement made inviting guests to cut their cake and to go to other tables to try their cakes?  Does every table have a cake server or do people just use the regular cakes and forks?  In regard to cost, how does this compare to a large cake or cupcakes?  Would you still do a centerpiece or use the cake in lieu of one?  Any thoughts or information would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Re: Indivual Table Cakes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_indivual-table-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:8a7c1336-b870-4e49-bf02-1b29fc389e37Post:ff5c4383-c39a-4d25-a320-c3cd86220f2d">Re: Indivual Table Cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Indivual Table Cakes : I've heard of people doing one cake per table as the centerpiece. <strong>My only concern would be if they didn't like the flavo</strong>r, but I'm sure they'd just walk around and see what else there was.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

But that's always a concern when serving food/cake to a group of more than 2 people.  Someone is not going to like it. 

OP, You may find it would cost less money to do 1 dessert table or just the big cake.  It all depends on the number of guests you have.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I think that it is a great idea! You and the groom could have your own cake that you could cut and have to yourselves and the other cakes would be simplified versions of it.  What you could do is ask if the bakers can make 2-4 flavors of cake and cut up the cakes and assemble them to make sectional cakes. That way each table has a cake with 2-4 options of flavors.  

The fact you don't it hasn't been done should make you more interested in doing it. It would make your wedding unforgettable!
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I have seen this done.   One set of friends had 12 cake options at their cake table.  They also had a one-tier wedding cake decorated for them to cut.  The cake table was brought out after dinner.  Three servers manned the cake table and served slivers of cakes to who ever wished to have that flavor while the bride and groom cut their own cake.

A different set of friends had marble cakes at each table deocorated with fondant polka dots in their color scheme of red, silver and dark grey.   After dinner, the wait staff delivered a cake server utensil to  each table and invited guests to cut a piece of cake to suit themselves.  The wait staff did not cut the cakes for the guests.  This upset the table with the grandparents but one of the wedding party stepped up to serve the elderly.  This bride and groom skipped the ceremony of cake cutting.

From what I was told, the 12 options of cake were more expensive than a traditional tiered cake; because there was twice the amount of cake needed and there were staff dedicated to serving the cake.  

The single flavor of marble cakes at each table was roughly the same as a tiered cake of that size.
  • I have been to a wedding where this was done. There were I believe 4 different flavors of cake and each table had a cake. The bride and groom had designated one person at each table to cut the cake (I was lucky enough to get the honor at my table) and we served ourselves.

As someone who is younger I thought this was fine and it did leave the opportunity for people to mingle to try cakes at other tables. It's possible an older generation might get a bit up in arms about it, but if it saves you money I say go for it! It was definitely memorable and I feel like just getting rid of the cake cutting fee probably ended up saving them some money.
  • Yes I've seen it done and like it.  The cake acted as a centerpiece as well, I thought it was a lovely idea and was going to do it for our wedding too (but our venue provided centerpieces and we went a different route).  The wedding I went to had 3 options and on the menu it said what our cake was.  It also had a little note that there were other options at other tables so feel free to mingle around and taste all 3.  It really did make my date and I go around and start talking to people. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • We used to have a MOB on the cakes board who was a professional pastry chef and did this for her DD's wedding.  It worked great but she was adamant that no more than a 6" cake be put at each table.  Otherwise, you are going to have mountains of cake left over.  You can rent serving pieces and have them at each table.

She rented the shorter traditional martini glasses and turned 4 of them upside down to form a square to set the cake on.  She posted a pic and it was a very nice presentation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards