Wedding Reception Forum

Place cards with songs...

I was thinking about putting classic/popular song titles on all my tables; when te song plays I want that table to come up and dance. I thought this would be a good way to get different groups of people on the dance floor. So, I was wondering is this a good idea or not, and why? Let me hear your thoughts

Re: Place cards with songs...

• I personally would not like this idea if I were a guest at a wedding. I really hate being forced to partake in things I don't want to do. I think whoever wants to dance will dance and whoever wants to sit will sit (and should be allowed to). I think adults should just be allowed to do what they want at a reception. If I went to a reception with this idea I would be stressing all night about having to go up as a table in front of everyone and dance. I would advise you to skip this idea altogether and just go with something like fun table names and leave it at that. Sorry if that sounded harsh but good luck with your planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Im undecided on this idea.  (sorry for the No help)  But I think it is very unique and could possible engage people in dancing at the beginning of the night.  For some who do NOT like to dance whatsoever, it may be a little awkward, so try not to pressure people into to HAVING to dance.  But I think that is a fun idea.

Maybe have the DJ announce that it is not manditory, but just for fun! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, I saw itt on 4 weddings and I thought it was fun. However, I do not want to make people uncomfortable!
  • I would like it, but it will depend on what the song is. I'm all for dancing, but doing the macarena when I'm not ini the mood might be a problem for me. Wink

• I went to a wedding last year where the DJ had each table answer a question about the bride and groom. He would ask a question, and you had to jump up and say the answer first. The order you answered the question was the order your table got to go get food from the buffet. So you had to answer a question, or you didn't get to eat! Not everyone loved it, but some people thought it was fun. I would personally not like to have to get up and dance if I didn't want to, and if they aren't up dancing already, they probably don't want to.

image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone
  • Sorry, but I'm not a fan of anything that potentially forces a guest into doing something that they're not comfortable with.

If people want to dance, they'll dance.  If they don't, they won't.  If they prefer dancing to slow dances, they'll dance to the slow dances.  If they enjoy dancing to uptempo dances, they'll dance when that music comes on.

And if they don't want to dance, or are involved in a conversation with someone and suddenly someone is pulling on their arm saying "You have to come out and dance now....they're playing our table's song" it's more likely to annoy them than to amuse them.

By all means, name the tables after songs if you'd like.  Just don't make people do anything when they hear the song.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • If people are going to dance, they will. Playing a game to get them to do that creates forced akwardness. Try to come up with something different. Use the song titles for names of tables, but don't make your guests dance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards