Wedding Reception Forum

Re: .

• We wrapped a box to look like a well-wrapped gift - you know the type, nice ribbon, fancy paper - and then cut a slit in it.  It blended well enough that it didn't look out of place, but people noticed the slit and realized it was for cards.
  • I think a birdcage would look lovely!  They are very classy and elegant if you get a nice one.  I think it's actually a lot classier than a box with a slit.
  • My wedding was fairly "elegant" and had a vintage feel to it.

This is the card box I made. Our colors were black & white, with a toile print. I used the paper mache boxes sold at craft stores, tiled the top with black & white toile broken tiles, and found black & white toile contact paper online simply by googling it.

I really like the birdcages, and I've seen brides use some vintage ones they purchased from second hand stores that had stands, fairly ornate.

If you want something more elegant, you could try to find a larger wood box that can be finished with silver or gold leaf, and attach an old fashioned latch to it. You can get silver and gold leaf and instructions at hobby stores. They'd have to open and close it themselves, unless you finished the inside and don't mind people having access to your cards.

Good luck.
  • I have seen a card box that uses 4 picture frames with pictures of you and your FI in it and a cushioned top with a slit.  Here is a link to how to make it...Photo Card Box...I think that this option is simple and sleek.

I am definitely not a fan of the birdcage card holder...it seems a little dated to me.

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a pretty elegant hotel wedding.  I ordered my cardbox from Etsy.  I loved it.  I sold it after the wedding.  The seller's info. is in my planning bio along with more pictures.

• The photo frame card holder is insanely cute! I've been trying to figure out what to do too and I think I've found it!
  • Wedding G...How about something like this?  I'm having this one as I don't like the birdcage one either.  It's silver, metal and glittery Smile
  • i made ours. i went to our local craft store and bought a large box with a lid (thick cardboard), painted it, put some decorations on it and that was it=oh and cut a slit in the top for people to put the cards in. it worked out great and after the wedding i used it as a storage box to keep some of our wedding momentos in.

• I love these cardboxes on Etsy from LaceyClaireDesigns:

but decided to DIY mine instead loosely based on her designs ($109 seemed outrageous for a card box!). I think the look of these boxes would totally fit with your elegant wedding!

Anniversary
  • We plan to get a basket from Goodwill and tie ribbon around it in the wedding colors. Traditionally, formally wedding gifts and cards were sent before the wedding, or after, and weren't brought to the ceremony (because guests recognized the hassle they created for the principles), so, like RSVP cards and other things we do these days because people don't put as much thought and effort into wedding invitations as they used to, it's hard to go formal card boxes (or equivalents).
  • I would just check out etsy.  They have hundreds of card boxes and I'm sure one will fit the feel of your venue and wedding. 
  • I really like the photo box and the ones from etsy that were posted but to be honest, the ones on etsy are kind of pricey.  We had an elegant wedding and I did ours for $20 total and got LOADS of compliments.

November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • cebrady89cebrady89 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
  • I like the cake like box someone posted above and the photoframe box the best.  Depends on the look you are going for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards