Wedding Reception Forum

Small Wedding Small Budget

HI. I am getting married in June and it's my second marriage, first wedding. We are doing this very cheap and very simple. We are having the ceremony and reception at our church, so there will be no alchohol.  Here's my question:  It has been suggested that we cook a few hams and then on our invitations write "in lieu of a gift, please bring a side dish."   Does this seem tacky to ya'll?  We are going to have about 50 people attending. I also have a question as far as the reception room, does the cake go on it's own table?  I am planning on a meal, a bride/groom dance, father/daughter dance and then leave.  Thanks so much!!

Dawn

Re: Small Wedding Small Budget

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_small-wedding-small-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:98ba8394-1e62-40fa-a21f-3634312aeae4Post:3e484254-c5be-480c-beb8-1e317ebe6d83">Small Wedding Small Budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI. I am getting married in June and it's my second marriage, first wedding. We are doing this very cheap and very simple. We are having the ceremony and reception at our church, so there will be no alchohol.  Here's my question:  It has been suggested that we cook a few hams and then on our invitations write "in lieu of a gift, please bring a side dish."   Does this seem tacky to ya'll?  We are going to have about 50 people attending. I also have a question as far as the reception room, does the cake go on it's own table?  I am planning on a meal, a bride/groom dance, father/daughter dance and then leave.  Thanks so much!! Dawn
    Posted by Luvscott[/QUOTE]

Extremely.  Guests should never be asked to provide anything for the wedding.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    The reception is a thank you to the guests for attending the wedding. You should not thank them by expecting them to provide the food for the party you are throwing. 

Our cake (cupcakes) was on its own table along with our favors, which were edible. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok, thanks for the advice.  I was thinking that too, but someone suggested it. 

• Go with your gut
  • yes, rude to ask guests on your invitations. 

Perhaps a few close family members (or volunteers from the church?) would be willing to prepare a big meal for everyone. If people start to offer to bring things, that's different.

I've been to a few weddings where all of the food was prepared by family.

50 people is a manageable number of people. You could go to Costco or Sams Club and get a number of bulk items like salad, potato salads, macaroni salads, breads, etc... Our local grocer prepares hams and turkeys for events , perhaps your grocer or a local restaurant is willing to do this so that you have carving stations.  I'm sure your family or wedding party could help you with that part.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards