Wedding Reception Forum

Bride and groom don't like cake!

My fiancé and I don't like cake. I mean, we REALLY don't like cake. When in a situation where we can't politely decline, we share the smallest piece and don't finish it. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for two cakes that he and I won't even want to eat, much less enjoy. Cheesecake is not an option either since my fiancé is lactose intolerant and the Lactaid type supplements don't completely eliminate symptoms. 

Here's what I was thinking instead: Jello and pie. A lot of talented bakers can do all sorts of tasty and interesting things with pie, and I don't know anyone who doesn't like Jello. If you attended a wedding where there was no cake, would you be disappointed? 

We will have a maximum of 190 people attending our wedding. 

Re: Bride and groom don't like cake!

• I hate jello.

I think as long as you have any dessert though you will be fine, so pie sounds good
  • There is no way I would eat jello at a wedding.  I actually wouldn't eat jello at home, or you know... anywhere.   Maybe if I just had throat surgery or something, and couldn't get anything else down?  

Why not go with a selection of pies, cookies, cakes, etc. and just do a dessert bar.  But, I would skip the jello. 
  • The pie sounds fine.  Lots of people don't like jello though so I wouldn't serve it.
  • Y'all are fast! I see your point about the Jello. Maybe do pie/cobbler as the main dessert and offer jello and cookies also? Cookies are usually cheap. How do you all feel about snickerdoodle?
  • Pie is great! I hate jello (it's also not vegetarian, FYI) and I can't imagine adults eating jello at a wedding. Cookies are good too, although I think snickerdooles are actualy a less popular choice. I'd want chocolate chip or a sugar cookie with icing.
  • Yummmmmmmmmy pie! Jello gives me the sads :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-groom-dont-like-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9bd31ad1-351d-4357-b7a1-838cbb29ad94Post:c1f79611-2ccb-4197-b371-6efe57dd16e3">Re: Bride and groom don't like cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Y'all are fast! I see your point about the Jello. Maybe do pie/cobbler as the main dessert and offer jello and cookies also? Cookies are usually cheap. How do you all feel about snickerdoodle?
    Posted by ammcadams[/QUOTE]

I personally like snickerdoodles, but I wouldn't only have one cookie. If you are going to go this route, I would have a larger selection of desserts.  Maybe a few different pies/cobblers and a few different cookie types.  PS, cookies aren't always cheap. If you get decent ones, they can easily be $5.00-10.00 per dozen, and you'll want to make sure you have enough for 2-4 cookies per person.
  • Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I understand your not wanting a traditional cake because neither of you enjoy cake.... but many of your guests might. 

I would be disappointed if I went to a wedding and there wasn't a cake. I love cake and look forward to it when attending a wedding. Would I make due with a piece of pie, or enjoy an assortment of other desserts (e.g. pastries, cookies, tarts, mini cakes or cupcakes, etc.) of course! But if I saw jell-o as the main dessert, I would not be happy at all and I wouldn't eat it.

Your best option would be a dessert bar with assorted selections. Maybe consider adding cupcakes or a sheet cake for those looking for traditional cake.

Anniversary
  • I'd go for  cookie and pie dessert bar.  Or just a dessert bar with lots of little pastries and pie.  Skip the jello all together- it's super weird for a wedding.  Reminds me of something my mom used to serve me as a kid as the "healthy dessert" because she'd put fruit in it.  She always put it in a glass bowl with a red wire rim and served it in the summer when she didn't feel like baking because it was too hot.  Not wedding type dessert.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Different pies would be awesome, but I agree with pp jello should be a no go. Can you do ice cream instead? I know your FI is allergic but the other guests might like it more than jello or cookies. Although I love cookies as a favor to the wedding.
  • It may just be my circle of friends, but to me, all I can think about when I think of Jell-O is Jell-O shots, which are gross, especially when you make the mistake of using Taaka. I wouldn't want to eat Jell-O at a wedding :|.

• bridalmarchbridalmarch member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We don't like cake, either. We're doing an ice cream sundae bar with three flavors plus a sorbet selection if people can't do dairy, plus cookie trays. 

I'd never miss cake if it wasn't there....I would remember Jello though. And not fondly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bride-and-groom-dont-like-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9bd31ad1-351d-4357-b7a1-838cbb29ad94Post:a53fabc0-242a-40fa-80a6-4dd8650d10fa">Bride and groom don't like cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancé and I don't like cake. I mean, we REALLY don't like cake. When in a situation where we can't politely decline, we share the smallest piece and don't finish it. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for two cakes that he and I won't even want to eat, much less enjoy. Cheesecake is not an option either since my fiancé is lactose intolerant and the Lactaid type supplements don't completely eliminate symptoms.  Here's what I was thinking instead: Jello and pie. A lot of talented bakers can do all sorts of tasty and interesting things with pie, and I don't know anyone who doesn't like Jello. <strong>If you attended a wedding where there was no cake, would you be disappointed? </strong>  We will have a maximum of 190 people attending our wedding. 
    Posted by ammcadams[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>No, so long as there was another sweet to replace it.  I'm not a pie person, but I think if you add plates of cookies out, that'd be perfect.  As other PPs suggested, leave jello off the menu.

</div>
  • I don't eat jello and it depends on the type of pie. I can't lie- I'd be disappointed if there wasn't cake.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Neither of us liked cake so we had pie. We had 4 different types, and there was definitely at least 1 flavor that people would like. We got lots of compliments and we were happy campers.  We had 3 10'' pies on display and cut one of them and then served our guests with sheet pie. 
    June 16, 2012
  • DH ADORES pie and I ADORE cake so I would be bummed but that would be my problem. Good cake is my favorite part of all the wedding food but as long as you are providing a dessert that is chosen with your guests in mind, you are fine.
  • You can have wherever you want. Most bakery's have a lot of options these days. Ever try a vegan cheesecake? My Fianc and I have made it a few times for diet and I am also lactose intolerant they turn out pretty close to the real thing. We even made one for our family and they had no idea. Just a thought! Good luck!
    Bunny ??

• I wouldn't be fine with no cake, but I hate jello. If you have pie and cookies, go for some options with chocolate or sugar cookies. I wouldn't do just fruity pie...but thats me :)
  • Ok, I think we are going to skip the Jello since it seems to be so unpopular. FI wants to do the cake cutting ceremony (even though we won't eat it? Weird) so I think we'll have a sheet cake for the guests who want cake and maybe do brownies, pie, or cookies as an alternative. I think the main problem is that neither of us are dessert people. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards