Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What can I do with the extra tables at the reception venue?

Hi Everyone! Sorry if this question has already been posted (there are too many posts to sift through with the title "Tables").

My Fiance and I are planning a wedding for 50, including the wedding party. Our outdoor venue has a fixed number (not sure how many) of large picnic-style tables, far too many tables for our small guest list! In addition, they already have long banquet tables for all the food. I'm going to have to either cover all the tables or create some rediculous dividing wall out of plants or something. -might be a good idea to help block out the playground in the distance.

Any ideas for what to do with those extra tables? We're on a tight budget and I need help!

So far I've got:
1. Gift/card table
2. Guestbook table
3. Coloring table for the kids
4. Not really into a Bride/Groom photo display
5. Favor table
6. Seating chart table (I feel like I'll need a seating chart to make sure everyone sits together. I don't want three people to each gigantic table. It will look like no one came to the reception! Plus, I'm worried no one will socialize.

If it helps, we're going for an antique, handmade, rustic look.

Thanks for you feedback!

Re: What can I do with the extra tables at the reception venue?

• Options
    Maybe use them as candy or dessert tables?
  • Options
    how many extras are there? you could do:

"entrance table" (seating chart and photo of you two)
    gift table
    kids/game table
    cake/dessert table
    guestbook table (if the tables are large, this would go on the entrance or cake table. it might look odd by itself.)

i know you don't like the idea of a photo display, but we scattered photos from our engagement shoot around the room, and people LOVED them!  so perhaps a table of photos isn't a bad idea if you're stumped.  you could include general family photos too so people have some 'fun moments' to look at and talk about during cocktail hour.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-can-i-do-with-the-extra-tables-at-the-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a43c80e1-92fa-46b9-831a-1673f8726e0bPost:03e47547-fdff-4a03-bcaa-b3f4b62e7690">Re: What can I do with the extra tables at the reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]how many extras are there? you could do: "entrance table" (seating chart and photo of you two) gift table kids/game table cake/dessert table guestbook table (if the tables are large, this would go on the entrance or cake table. it might look odd by itself.) i know you don't like the idea of a photo display, but we scattered photos from our engagement shoot around the room, and people LOVED them!  so perhaps a table of photos isn't a bad idea if you're stumped.  you could include general family photos too so people have some 'fun moments' to look at and talk about during cocktail hour.
    Posted by gymbugmj2k[/QUOTE]

Oh! I like the idea of spreading engagement photos around. For some reason, I only had flashback childhood photos in my head.

Thanks for the great ideas!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-can-i-do-with-the-extra-tables-at-the-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a43c80e1-92fa-46b9-831a-1673f8726e0bPost:29ad8ac5-bf45-4fe8-a9a2-1b9022d11a2f">Re:What can I do with the extra tables at the reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just put table clothes and centerpieces on the tables you want people to use and leave the rest bare. The more you try to spread stuff out the sparser it will look. I am usually a big advocate for assigning people to tables, but in your case it seems silly. People will know to only sit at the tables that are set.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your answer!

I would like to keep the extra tables bare, but I think it would look pretty bad. I forgot to mention the picnic tables are a weird color. I plan to have only a limited amount of tables for the guests to sit, and I thought that having stuff on most of the extra tables would help keep the people together. - another reason why I thought it would be less confusing to have a seating chart. It is possible that I could use a backdrop of some sort to hide the unused tables. I'm just not sure what to make it out of, haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards