Wedding Reception Forum

May of 2011 or Sept of 2012?

Our wedding is going to be in Monterey CA.  I finally found the perfect venues but for next summer the only dates available are in May; still too early for warm weather.  Plus, the dinner will be outdoors.  If I wait until 2012 I can secure a date in September (the best time for warmer weather) but it's such a long time away.  Should I go for May, risk it being foggy and cold and only have 7 months to plan or wait 2 full years for nicer weather?

Re: May of 2011 or Sept of 2012?

• This is really a personal decision. IMO, there are other factors to consider before deciding on a date. Who is paying for the wedding? Do you need to save any money before in order to pay for it?

I am not familiar with CA weather, but in my experience with the midwest, the weather can change quicker than you can blink an eye. It wouldn't worry or stress too much about the weather, but rather which month you would prefer your wedding to be in.

For example, I always knew I wanted a summer wedding, and usually June is the best month for weather in OH. Good luck
  • Like pp said it's really up to you.  If you go for May though I would get on your other vendors pronto!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is up to you and your FI and what matters most to you.  DH and I knew we wanted to get married in September and were lucky enough to book a September date in February.  That said, we wouldn't have waited another year to get married if everything had been booked; we would have found something in another month.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited October 2010
    Ditto tldh.  I wanted a summer wedding, so we got married in July.  With that said, if our place would've been booked all summer long, I would've found somewhere else.  There's no way I would've waited another year to get married.

Afterthought:  It's really up to you to decide what is more important; marrying your FI or the venue/weather.
  • May is usually REALLY hot here in NY. IMO, you should have the wedding in May, or have it during the Summer and pick another venue. It doesn't seem worth waiting unless you have issues like budgeting, school, work, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you're very particular about other vendors I suggest 2012. Many of the top vendors in your area will be booked over a year in advance. If your venue is more 'all-inclusive' then May wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Thanks everyone.  We've decided to wait until 2012.  Here's why:

-We're actually already married legally with two kids and are just planning the religious ceremony we never had and have waited so long already that we want it to be as close to perfect as possible.
    -Some of your comments about booking vendors on short notice made me realize waiting would be best for ensuring the best music and atmosphere (weather).
    -I also am trying to do some DYI so the extra time will be necessary.

Thanks everyone for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards