Wedding Reception Forum

Candy Buffet At The Reception

I was thinking (after seeing all the ideas out there) of doing a small candy buffet for the kids in attendance at my reception (they won't be getting a regular favor but wanted them to have something to take home from the wedding).

I really wans't going to do a candy buffet (because of the extra expense) but I love the look of it and I figure I can do a small one (just a couple of glass vases) for cheap. And I have not been to a wedding with one yet, so mine would be the first for mine and FI's family, which I think is cool.

I was thinking how far away from the wedding (November 24) can I buy the candy and stock up. Is now too soon? Or should I wait closer to the date, like October?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Candy Buffet At The Reception

• same here :)
    11/24 wedding - is it too early to stock up on candy from after Easter sales?
  • snuff9861snuff9861 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    wait til the end of October or even Nov 1st and pillage the remaining Halloween candy at a super discounted rate!
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Sorry to throw a kink in, but our wedding planner recommended against it as he said he has never seen it not end up messy, sticky, and everywhere. Maybe if you are set on the idea, have individually wrapped or have a server serving the candy to kids. 
    Vacation Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I know that it can get expensive, but I would be sad if the candy bar was only for the kids. If you can't do it for everyone, it may be best to have favor bags premade for the kiddies. Honestly, I think that you can buy candy from Easter and it'll be okay in November. If you don't care about having pastel colors, then you could just wait until after Halloween, like a PP suggested.

• I figured their parents could help (it would be for kids under the age of 14). But I like the idea of a helper doling out the candy to the kids.

Oh and should the candy jars be covered or left opened with scoops?
  • We are doing one too!! Our wedding colors are red and black so we stocked up alot the morning after valentines day! Just make sure the dates are good ( ours are good through decemeber!) and remember if you are buying chocolate you will need somewhere to keep it so it won't melt! Ours is taking up about 1/3 of our fridge so it has made me a little more creative at grocery shopping!!! Deffinately not as expensive as you think if you shop smart!!!
  • I am strongly considering a candy bar. The only bad thing I have heard about it is giving the kids a sugar high ;) However, if i am going to do it, tI would do the bar instead of favors and  have it open to everyone, not just kids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am also wondering if I should stick to my colors for the candy or have it be colorful (what are you all thinking off doing? My colors are blue and white. 

Guests will get an edible candy or chocolate covered favor doubled as ecort cards...so they get a treat too ;)
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_candy-buffet-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:aa2840c6-01c1-4c0c-9fd4-69ffc8cb76ccPost:bebc50f8-e559-44b0-b575-26b8d6f73ac2">Re: Candy Buffet At The Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry to throw a kink in, but our wedding planner recommended against it as he said he has never seen it not end up messy, sticky, and everywhere. Maybe if you are set on the idea, have individually wrapped or have a server serving the candy to kids. 
    Posted by DanniLynn88[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess your planner didn't come to my wedding.   Ours was not messy or sticky.</div><div>
    </div><div>There should be an expiration date on the candy.  If you store them un-opened in a dark, cool place they should be fine.  </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA - we did not stick to our wedding colors.  Instead we picked our favorite candies (and some favorites of our guests).  You should have seen the faces on our 60-something year old guests getting to have candy from their childhood.  We only had 5 kids at our wedding, yet the candy bar was the hit of the night.

</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards