Wedding Reception Forum

Would it be rude...?

So my Fiancé and I have put off our wedding year after year due to pretty much no budget for a wedding. I am about to just go down to the J.P. and forget about having wedding. His and my family has urged us not to do so because they want a wedding for us, and have told us they would pay for it. That would be great if I knew they had it to spare, but I know they don't. So, I was wondering if it would be rude to just put a small ceremony together with their help, and just go out to eat at a nice restaurant afterwards. If that isn't rude, then how do I nicely tell my other guest "hey we are just going to go eat, by the way you can pay for your own meal?"

Re: Would it be rude...?

• Well, you can't nicely tell your other guest, "You can pay for your own meal."  As his/her host, you are required to provide him/her a meal at your expense.

Don't invite anyone you're not willing to pay for.  That would be intensely rude.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_would-it-be-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:af8c23ba-a476-4a08-9c6b-3a55dd5fd649Post:ebc795c4-0ca6-4a93-810f-d3f5d9ee9348">Would it be rude...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my Fiancé and I have put off our wedding year after year due to pretty much no budget for a wedding. I am about to just go down to the J.P. and forget about having wedding. His and my family has urged us not to do so because they want a wedding for us, and have told us they would pay for it. That would be great if I knew they had it to spare, but I know they don't. So, I was wondering if it would be rude to just put a small ceremony together with their help, and just go out to eat at a nice restaurant afterwards. If that isn't rude, then how do I nicely tell my other guest "<strong>hey we are just going to go eat, by the way you can pay for your own meal</strong>?"
    Posted by Mrs Esparza[/QUOTE]

No, you can't do this. It is rude.  Invite anyone who you can afford to host.  If that means just you and your fiance and your immediate families, then that's all you invite.   The other option is to do a simple backyard barbecue and invite more people.   You could get a pretty dress from Davids Bridal $99.00 sale, go have your JOP wedding, and have a big family bbq at someone's house.  Hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.  You could probably do the whole thing for less than $500.00. 

But, don't invite anyone to your ceremony or a restaurant or any other type of reception unless you can figure out a way to properly host them.
  • Just make it a small group and pick a place you can afford to pay for everyone. You can ask the restaurant to put together a menu with just a couple choices to keep things within budget (aka: offer a choice of a couple entrees in a comfortable price range).
  • If you have to ask if something is rude, it is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_would-it-be-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:af8c23ba-a476-4a08-9c6b-3a55dd5fd649Post:6c57982f-5589-41fc-9bb2-374ffd9ad94f">Re: Would it be rude...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have to ask if something is rude, it is.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily...but what the OP is asking about is indeed very rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards