Wedding Reception Forum

Tea Reception

We are looking into having a tea reception for the cost benefits. My question is do you thing it's appropriate to dance at an afternoon tea reception? I haven't ever been to one but I would really like to dance during our reception and I have no idea if it's good form to do that at a tea reception?

Re: Tea Reception

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_tea-reception-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b400f804-b5c6-42ef-9d78-8e1e7bf3177aPost:a635effb-a027-4f2e-939d-009ba3acd1d3">Tea Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are looking into having a tea reception for the cost benefits. My question is do you thing it's appropriate to dance at an afternoon tea reception? I haven't ever been to one but I would really like to dance during our reception and I have no idea if it's good form to do that at a tea reception?
    Posted by Duncanwedding2014[/QUOTE]

If I got an invitation to a "Tea Reception" I would be excited.  I would anticipate a lovely, classy reception.  I would not expect dancing at all.  Will you have a DJ?  Perhaps you could do an Ipod set up and maybe do a spotlight dance, then leave background music for the rest of the time.  Is there even a place to dance at your anticipated venue?
  • I have been to tea receptions with and without dancing.  I find it completely acceptable as long as the selected venue has room for dancing. 
  • We are planning on a DJ, but none of the flashy lighting and such, just a low key person to introduce our first dance and the father-daughter dance (for my fiance and daughter not me and my father) and then just someone to manage the music. We thought about the IPOD approach but for one neither of us have one, or have one easily available, and I was at a reception last year that the music was set up that way and the music kept messing up, I don't know the details of why but I don't have to worry about that happening, I'd rather put the worrying into someone elses hands. We aren't planning on doing like rap or rock and things like that more like love ballands and soft tone music. We are going for a relaxed classy feel, so I was thinking slow dancing mostly. We want our guests to have a good time and not feel like it's stuffy but also not set the bar to allow any drama or trashiness.
  • Sounds fun.

I think the music styles you're mentioning will make for excellent background music.

I can't picture myself (or especially DH) being in the "mood" to slow-dance in the afternoon, but maybe your guests will.
  • The cruise we went on for our honeymoney did afternoon tea everyday.

A couple of times during the week it was a tea dance.  The band was a swing/jazz band playing things like Bobby Darin and Frank Sinatra, with the occasional more "swing" number like Glenn MIller or something.

It was lots of fun, lots of folks danced. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards