Wedding Reception Forum

Live Peacock Rental

Has anybody ever heard of a place in town or in Ohio even that rents live peacocks for outdoor events? Would love to have a couple wandering the gardens at our outdoor reception in June. I've seen online that they are very inexpesive to actually buy, but would have nowhere to keep them after the wedding... Thanks!

Re: Live Peacock Rental

• Frown

I do not get using live animals as props for a weddings, but anyway, I would contact our local board as this is an international board. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • google "backyard barnyards" or something like that followed by your area in the search box. you might be able to find something

and knotties, the lady asked a question, not for your moral thoughts on if it is right or wrong
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Uhh... if someone asks us how to go about fulfilling a bad idea, we're going to tell them it's a bad idea.  I'm with Lynda on this one.

Welcome to the internet!

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:65abdb98-4143-409d-bb6b-77fa17881d84">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]google "backyard barnyards" or something like that followed by your area in the search box. you might be able to find something<strong> and knotties, the lady asked a question, not for your moral thoughts on if it is right or wrong</strong>
    Posted by amanda1611t[/QUOTE]

And fellow Knottie, this is the Internet and we can answer how we see fit. If we think something is a bad idea, we will say it. No sugarcoating here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • There's a city owned venue in downtown Austin that has peacocks wandering around and people love it.  If your venue can hold them and don't have any issues with you having them there, I think it's a great idea :)
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Ok, so I try not to critique other wedding ideas, to each his own and what not, but I have to say that this is a really bad idea. Look, I lived in India, on a campus that had peacocks. THEY ARE MEAN and uncontrolable, to the point where we had to keep on main roads or they would ATTACK you. Even going off onto trails could provoke them. Use some feathers, get some fake ones, but seriously, reconsider this idea. It would also probably be more of a distraction than you want too. If you wouldn't want turkeys or phesants running around your wedding venue, don't have peacocks, they're pretty much the same thing with prettier feathers (and that includes poop and other smells, will admit, not as smelly as turkeys). 

I see that you're from Columbus area, and I'm wondering if you remember when the C-bus zoo used to have them running wild? There's a reason they don't anymore, I definately saw them going out of control multiple times in my childhood. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:65abdb98-4143-409d-bb6b-77fa17881d84">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]google "backyard barnyards" or something like that followed by your area in the search box. you might be able to find something and knotties, the lady asked a question, not for your moral thoughts on if it is right or wrong

Who made you the boss?
    Animals should not be used as decorations for weddings.

• DO NOT buy a peacock for your wedding.  It is so unfair to do that to a creature.  If you have to have one, which is a really terrible idea, try to rent one from a petting zoo.  But seriously, reconsider.  They are mean and smelly (and this just seems a little inhumaine)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
    [QUOTE]google "backyard barnyards" or something like that followed by your area in the search box. you might be able to find something and knotties, the lady asked a question, not for your moral thoughts on if it is right or wrong

<div>I said I didn't get using live animals, then I directed her to her local board for help.  Where did I express my moral thoughts on the subject?</div><div>
    </div><div>Live animals, pee, poo and have smells I would not want at my wedding.  That is what I don't get.  </div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:9c9d055d-c73c-4ce9-8553-914b3d55041a">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peacocks are very pretty to look at,<strong> but they generally have rather nasty tempers.</strong>  If there are going to be children present, I would worry.  Using live animals as scenery for a wedding bothers me a bit, too.   What about the bird poo?
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>This was my first thought.  And they can be obnoxiously loud.</div>
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:0d594e82-e0b9-4b1e-b568-f21f371cb64e">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : This was my first thought. <strong> And they can be obnoxiously loud.</strong>
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

At the school where I teach, they used to be in the nature center and escaped all the time.  Nothing like being screamed at by a peacock while you're teaching or giving a test. 

Having been to Disney World several times and seen the birds steal food out of people's hands, I would be concerned that any food you serve may not make it to the guests. 
  • I don't really know anything about peacocks so they may or may not be good to have at a wedding. However, in general, I think it is perfectly fine to use animals in your wedding. I've seen caged doves used as props, dogs carrying rings, elephants as 'props' etc. I find it no different than renting animals for a children's party. I'm assuming no one will be harming the peacocks at your wedding, so what's the big deal? It is YOUR day and if you want it, go for it.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:3fafa8de-9ba7-4aee-a788-77739fed5e79">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really know anything about peacocks so they may or may not be good to have at a wedding. However, in general, I think it is perfectly fine to use animals in your wedding. <strong>I've seen caged doves used as props, dogs carrying rings, elephants as 'props' etc</strong>. I find it no different than renting animals for a children's party. I'm assuming no one will be harming the peacocks at your wedding, so what's the big deal? It is YOUR day and if you want it, go for it.
    Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]
    How do you feel about goldfish centerpieces? 
  • This has to be MUD.
  • Have you ever heard the noise a peacock makes when it squaks? It's loud and annoying. Plus they poop - EVERYWHERE.

I saw an episode of Rich Bride Poor Bride once where the bride wanted peacocks at her reception so her WP looked into it. They're expensive to rent, they need a cage built at your reception site, a handler ($$), they make a lot of noise and for only certain months of the year (mating season) do they actually display their tail feathers.

Not a good idea, sorry.
    Anniversary
  • goldfish centerpieces? lol I don't see anything wrong with that. Personally, it wouldn't fit into my luxury wedding but I wouldn't have a problem attending a wedding that had that if that's what the couple wanted. I've been to several lavish weddings that cost well over $100,000 and the animals that were used looked lovely.
  • Ohhhhh, I get it.  It's "fancy" to put wild animals in situations that are uncomfortable and distressing for them, and may provoke them to harm a guest or themselves.  Got it.  (Us plebes over here in the middle class just aren't familiar with your high-class ways.)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • high-class ways? lol Anyone can have animals at their wedding if they want--it's actually not even that expensive depending on what kind of animal you are using. I just don't see what the big deal is. If you've ever been to a zoo or anywhere to look at caged animals then it's hypocritical to say it's inhumane to have them at weddings. Or if you've ever been to a children's party who had a petting zoo and supported it.

But you're right, maybe I'm just cruel to animals. I do like fur coats.
  • Honestly, it's not the same as a zoo at all, so you're being completely obtuse on that front.  Providing an animal with a natural environment where they don't have to interact with humans is not the same as expecting them to parade around your wedding like pretty lawn decorations.

And personally, I think petting zoos at children's parties are disgusting, unsafe, and unsanitary, and I've seen children bitten by petting zoo animals on several occasions because the kids don't know how to approach the animal correctly and the animals lash out because they feel unsafe.

And the "high-class" thing was sarcasm, genius.  I actually think it's a pretty sh!tty thing to do to an animal, in case you haven't caught that by now.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Oh for the love of pete. If you must have something peacock involved, try using some feathers or other decorations in the centerpieces. Live peacocks are not a good idea for all of the wonderful reasons everyone else already pointed out.
  • FWIW, peacocks are often considered bad luck. It's one of the few superstitions I buy in to.
  • Peacocks are seriously mean and they are not small birds. My grandma, mother, and aunt who are all afraid of birds would run screaming out of your wedding.

Also, when peacocks make a noise, it is very very loud and sounds like a little kid crying for help. No joke. (We had old neighbors who had some-they were not popular in the neighborhood)

This is just all around a bad idea. Why not use some feathers for the effect?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • LOL @ milkdud's picture

One of the venues we're looking at has a lot of peacocks that live on their property.  I've always heard that brides loved to get pictures with them.

I wasn't planning on trying to tame a peacock and incorporate it into the wedding, but I figured if one wandered nearby, it'd be cool to have a photo near it.

Now I think I'll just stay away from them.... 

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:26b34823-29ca-4ed2-b01e-25b720ce53cf">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monkey, if they live at that venue, they are probably used to the surroundings and people being around them.  I'd get a pic if one was near enough and the venue staff says it's OK.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with Duds on this - it's one thing if you happen to be getting married in a place where they make their home, and I would guess the venue has plenty of safe, guest-free places for the peacocks to retreat to if they're just not feeling the crowd that day. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:26b34823-29ca-4ed2-b01e-25b720ce53cf">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monkey, if they live at that venue, they are probably used to the surroundings and people being around them.  I'd get a pic if one was near enough and the venue staff says it's OK.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:9c546db7-1992-4363-88fd-e0207780d979">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]This has to be MUD.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  </div><div>
    </div><div>So is the troll with the classy cruelty.  </div>
  • Tame peacocks can be really pretty, my old dentist's office had a big garden with peacocks in it behind the office.  He didn't buy them, they just showed up one day, and have continued to lead happy peacock lives there, there was even a female and they sometimes had nests.  I always wondered where they came from, perhaps they were wedding fugitives?

But this is NOT a good idea, peacock sounds are horrible, they stink, and as milkduds picture expertly demonstrates, they can be pretty scary when they get angry (which happens a lot...)

Put peacock feathers on things, use peacock colors, but please don't use live animals as props, they're living things, not streamers. 
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:25e44ca6-6262-496e-befb-967b447a95d2">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL @ milkdud's picture One of the venues we're looking at has a lot of peacocks that live on their property.  I've always heard that brides loved to get pictures with them. I wasn't planning on trying to tame a peacock and incorporate it into the wedding, but I figured if one wandered nearby, it'd be cool to have a photo near it. Now I think I'll just stay away from them.... 
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

Peacocks wandered around the Philadelphia Zoo surrounded by curious children and ill-intentioned adults all day long for years.  If they are used to people, it will be just fine.

EDIT: My response is directed towards someone whose venue specifically already has peacocks.  I wouldn't recommend bringing them in to a new environment to just be surrounded by people.
  • I'd just never heard about the ill-temper thing before!  But I don't think I've ever seen a peacock in real life.

I don't know if we'll actually go with that venue, but now I know I'll probably be safe getting near them.  :)

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:284a71f1-1915-4c00-b6a1-566c6d47d5b7">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, it's not the same as a zoo at all, so you're being completely obtuse on that front.  <strong>Providing an animal with a natural environment</strong> where they don't have to interact with humans is not the same as expecting them to parade around your wedding like pretty lawn decorations. Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

FYI: Being caged in a zoo is not a natural environment. Please see excerpt below. Clearly I'm not an advocate for PETA but this information is interesting:

<p>"PETA opposes zoos because cages and cramped enclosures at zoos deprive animals of the opportunity to satisfy their most basic needs. The zoo community regards the animals it keeps as commodities, and animals are regularly bought, sold, borrowed, and traded without any regard for established relationships. Zoos breed animals because the presence of babies draws zoo visitors and boosts revenue. But the animals' fate is often bleak once they outgrow their "cuteness." And some zoos still import animals from the wild.</p><p>In general, zoos and wildlife parks preclude or severely restrict natural behavior, such as flying, swimming, running, hunting, climbing, scavenging, foraging, digging, exploring, and selecting a partner. The physical and mental frustrations of captivity often lead to abnormal, neurotic, and even self-destructive behavior, such as incessant pacing, swaying, head-bobbing, bar-biting, and self-mutilation.</p><p>Even large, well-known, and popular zoos engage in unscrupulous practices, such as dumping unwanted  animals or taking animals from the wild. In 2003, the San Diego Zoo and Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo captured and imported 11 African elephants from Swaziland. In 2006, accredited zoos in Denver; Houston; Litchfield Park, Arizona; San Antonio; San Diego; and Tampa, Florida, imported 33 monkeys who had been illegally trafficked by poachers in Africa, rather than working with wildlife rehabilitators to return the primates to their natural habitat."

There's way more information than this on their website this is just a little piece.  
    </p>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards