Wedding Reception Forum

Live Peacock Rental

2»

Re: Live Peacock Rental

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:dcad3736-86f3-45c8-bba1-69299d9cba4f">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]goldfish centerpieces? lol I don't see anything wrong with that. Personally, it wouldn't fit into my<strong><u> luxury wedding</u></strong> but I wouldn't have a problem attending a wedding that had that if that's what the couple wanted. I've been to several lavish weddings that cost well over $100,000 and the animals that were used looked lovely.
    Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]

Please explain to me what a luxury wedding is.

And, I really think you're an AE Troll.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • My sister is having a Peacock themed wedding and one of my brothers jokingly suggested we rent some live peacocks...  A hilarious conversation ensued while we all listed why it might be a bad idea:

1) Peacocks run into road, get hit by car
    2) Peacocks keep photobombing
    3) Peacocks pooping during inappropriate times and in innappropriate places
    4) Peacocks attacking Grandma
    5) Peacocks make loud noise and are particularly rowdy during the "if anyone objects" moment of ceremony
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:edf8a086-655f-4cfc-9ad8-5bbe6e8743dc">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : How do you feel about goldfish centerpieces? 
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

Damn you.

And any type of animal at a wedding... just ew.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:04528a2e-7b6f-4534-acaf-fb3120dd5180">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : FYI: Being caged in a zoo is not a natural environment. Please see excerpt below. Clearly I'm not an advocate for PETA but this information is interesting: "PETA opposes zoos because cages and cramped enclosures at zoos deprive animals of the opportunity to satisfy their most basic needs. The zoo community regards the animals it keeps as commodities, and animals are regularly bought, sold, borrowed, and traded without any regard for established relationships. Zoos breed animals because the presence of babies draws zoo visitors and boosts revenue. But the animals' fate is often bleak once they outgrow their "cuteness." And some zoos still import animals from the wild. In general, zoos and wildlife parks preclude or severely restrict natural behavior, such as flying, swimming, running, hunting, climbing, scavenging, foraging, digging, exploring, and selecting a partner. The physical and mental frustrations of captivity often lead to abnormal, neurotic, and even self-destructive behavior, such as incessant pacing, swaying, head-bobbing, bar-biting, and self-mutilation. Even large, well-known, and popular zoos engage in unscrupulous practices, such as dumping unwanted  animals or taking animals from the wild. In 2003, the San Diego Zoo and Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo captured and imported 11 African elephants from Swaziland. In 2006, accredited zoos in Denver; Houston; Litchfield Park, Arizona; San Antonio; San Diego; and Tampa, Florida, imported 33 monkeys who had been illegally trafficked by poachers in Africa, rather than working with wildlife rehabilitators to return the primates to their natural habitat." There's way more information than this on their website this is just a little piece.  

PETA is pretty much the worst source of "facts" about animals out there because of their rabid bias against any confinement whatsoever of any animal at all ("true believers" don't even think people should own pets - let me know how that works out when we set all the Yorkshire Terriers free, okay?)

You could at least <em>try</em> to find a legitimate and unbiased source of information if you're trying to make a point here.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • The reason why PETA is wrong about zoos is because they leave out the positive points. Zoos educate people and allow us a better understanding of how to help them, they help breed endangered animals... if left to their own devices many animals right now would be suffering for food or endangered. Zoos (good zoos) create habitats that are as close to natural as possible. The spaces are smaller than most prefer, but none of the zebras have to live in fear of being hunted by a lion.
  • There are just too many things that could go wrong with having live peacocks at a wedding.  PP have listed them.  If you decide to not follow our advice I would suggest getting a very large insurance policy for your wedding for the inevitable things that can go wrong.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:bd13d486-dbd5-4d22-b22d-ef664cbee28e">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : Please explain to me what a luxury wedding is. And, I really think you're an AE Troll.
    Posted by adktd2boots[/QUOTE]

lol I'm really not a troll. But to answer your question, you should check out the luxury wedding board. There's a good thread over there asking the same exact question that many people answered. Some quick examples would be cost, band instead of a DJ, no DIYs, etc. But really its just personal opinion.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:de132366-ce3a-47fa-9893-36ecb63da4fb">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : This.   So is the troll with the classy cruelty.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    Thank you! At least someone agrees with me. <div>
    </div><div>To the luxury wedding girl, I don't go to zoos or petting zoo parties either because I don't support that treatment of animals. I'm not a PETA extremist, but I am vegan and for animal rights. I do believe that there is often more harm done to these animals at zoos than there is positive education done to the local children & adults. No one has to agree, that's my opinion.</div><div>
    </div><div>Like the PP said, if peacocks just happen to live on the property, which I could imagine is a rare instance, then cool. Don't rent animals as props. Would you like to get shipped around to 'perform' at events for pictures for free?? I doubt it. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:8ebc936f-8c07-4c75-85ec-3e5b8ec2f075">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Live Peacock Rental : We had a live band and while my wedding was more than I could have asked for, it was by no means, a luxury wedding.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Yea you can def. have some of those aspects and it not be a luxury wedding. It really is in the eye of the beholder. I would check out that thread on the luxury board because it sums it up pretty well.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:27b6bc63-b9ac-4b01-8dae-9e0a5f79d6c9">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are just too many things that could go wrong with having live peacocks at a wedding.  PP have listed them.  If you decide to not follow our advice I would suggest<strong> getting a very large insurance policy</strong> for your wedding for the inevitable things that can go wrong.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to highlight this again, because it raises another excellent point.

Venues often carry their own liability insurance (and should tell you if they don't so you can make appropriate arrangements), but even if your venue carries its own insurance, it definitely would not cover any damage or harm caused by rented peacocks brought onto the property by someone else, and you could be on the hook for a huge bill if the peacocks damaged the venue or harmed your guests.

With all of that said, still, don't rent peacocks.  Seriously.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • My sisters would freak out if there were live birds at a wedding. Some of them are downright scary! And if peacocks are anything like swans (which it sounds like they are) there is no way I'd want to be around that.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:419b7eff-bf72-4e60-baa1-a05671278b0c">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason why PETA is wrong about zoos is because they leave out the positive points. Zoos educate people and allow us a better understanding of how to help them, they help breed endangered animals... if left to their own devices many animals right now would be suffering for food or endangered. Zoos (good zoos) create habitats that are as close to natural as possible. The spaces are smaller than most prefer, but none of the zebras have to live in fear of being hunted by a lion.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to point out as well. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:83ede327-1a88-46f5-b9d2-ed3d5c63cd9c">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister is having a Peacock themed wedding and one of my brothers jokingly suggested we rent some live peacocks...  A hilarious conversation ensued while we all listed why it might be a bad idea: 1) Peacocks run into road, get hit by car 2) <strong>Peacocks keep photobombing</strong> 3) Peacocks pooping during inappropriate times and in innappropriate places 4) Peacocks attacking Grandma 5) Peacocks make loud noise and are particularly rowdy during the "if anyone objects" moment of ceremony
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

Oh the images this created!  Thanks for the laugh.  :)
  • There were Peacocks at my wedding, and other birds.  It was nice and they were pretty (even though they didn't display, they are beautiful birds even without that).  But if you have any live animals anywhere near your wedding you should remember to be flexible.  My wedding started 10 min late because the guests could not be seated as a peacock was walking up and down the aisle.  Also, they were loud during our vows (not too bad, just a noise).  Lastly they walked down the aisle during the ceremony as well, but had left before the recessional.  Basically if your using animals don't be uptight.  You can't control them, they will do what they like. 

(disclaimer, the birds all lived at my venue, I wouldn't recommend renting them, but these are reasons other than animal cruelty why you might want to rethink it.  If you want to rent birds you don't sound like someone who could take the bird altering your plans). 
  • Amanda1443994Amanda1443994 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_live-peacock-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b950eac6-350a-4c72-a15d-ff705dd9f1edPost:c42d2be5-536f-40c6-943a-dcc6c3378f4d">Re: Live Peacock Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]Peacocks poop a lot, are quite aggressive, and their SHRIEK can split your eardrums. Live animals should not be used for props.  Sure some people do it.  That doesn't make it right.  Would you jump off a cliff just because everyone else did? The venue may not allow animals due to health department codes, either. Amanda, these are open boards, and anyone can post.  That's allowed, so long as everyone is polite. <strong>Remarks like yours, however, aren't</strong>. You really need to re-read The Knot's rules.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

My remarks aren't allowed? For what reasons? I wasn't rude in any of my posts and am allowed to express my opinions like everyone else. I don't think animals are a bad idea--other people do. I have no problem with that and never once said I have a problem with other people's posts. I think you should re-read my comments. I was the one being attacked for having a different opinion than others.
  • No, that wasn't me actually lol Re-read it. That was "amanda1611t". Unless you were referring to her instead of me. Then that is my mistake! Sorry.
  • [QUOTE]I just don't see what the big deal is. If you've ever been to a zoo or anywhere to look at caged animals then it's hypocritical to say it's inhumane to have them at weddings.

You are totally wrong here.  One of my bridesmaids is a zoologist and she spent 7 years getting two degrees to be qualified to care for them.  People may disagree with zoos, but they are a safer and much healthier enviorment for an animal than a wedding.

Also, bragging about your "luxury" wedding and your big budget is really tacky.  I'm sure there are a ton of women on this board spending a large amount of money on their wedding, but they have enough class to keep that to themselves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Bragging? The only reason I mentioned it was to make a point that goldfish wouldn't be appropriate for my wedding. Mentioning your wedding is a 'luxury' wedding is no different than saying you are having a 'budget' wedding. If someone has a problem with the type of wedding I am having then that's their problem. I'm not allowed to share my type of wedding and everyone else is? That sure makes a lot of sense.
  • Totally unrelated to the original question
    But are peacocks really that mean, they walk around the zoo i go to and they never seem mean...are these just really nice peacocks....the geese at this zoo are so mean though...they almost bit one of my students
    Anniversary
  • The issue with using live animals......does that also apply to doves, butterflies, and horses. all are commonly used at weddings. Personally if I wanted peacocks I would look for a place that has them on the grounds.
  • I could see where you are going with this...though you say peacocks are mean I have seen nice ones before. You would obviously think if someone were renting out ANY animal they wouldn't rent out a mean one! They do it with other animals. As a person who loves animals I see where she is going wanting these at her wedding. I know most people would do this more for looks but if it were at all possible I would love to have them just because of my love for animals and would love having animals IN my wedding.
  • Zombies!!!!!!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards