Wedding Reception Forum

XP Just a vent/disaster at our venue

I am so bummed today ladies. I got a letter from our venue thanking us for wanting to book our celebration there, but asking us to come in and put a deposit down on the hall in order for them to continue saving our date. Also, the letter was addressed to my last name, but with a different first name?

I had already had several meetings with the manager on site, and had signed a contract and put the required 20% deposit down. I called to tell them that, but was told that the person who handled that was not in, and asked to leave a message. My fiance' happened to be off today and said he wanted to go down there, so we did.

I had my copies of the contract, and the deposit which we took with us.

Turns out the manager we worked with changed names on our contract, whited out our deposit amounts, and took off with the money and money from many others. They haven't heard from her in over a month. In addition, we negotiated pricing with her, and details of our reception, including kids meals, special decor, serving drinks to our guests upon arrival at ceremony, and adding items to our food and drink menu. Even the time duration of our reception, and set up time beforehand. They are cutting our time frame and only giving us the two hours before ceremony to set up, which is when we have first look and bridal party pics scheduled. They won't allow us any other time to set up and decorate.

We found out today that basically everything she told us was untrue, and the venue won't honor anything she told or promised us. She wrote these things on a separate piece of paper, so they weren't actually a part of our contract, and they won't honor them. So now I have to pay full plate price for everyone, even kids under 5, along with not being able to have things I planned on. I thought everything was set, and we planned our day accordingly.

We are now looking at spending an additional 700-2000 dollars accordingly, based on actual count and extra fees that we were not told about. And I have to figure out how to get the hall set up and decorated. We have done a lot of DIY to save money. I know that my wedding isn't until next year, but I'm a planner, and like to have some sense of how things are going to be.

Just threw us off, and upset me a bit. I don't know where the extra money will come from, or how we will manage to get the hall done. Just sad that someone who seemed so nice took such advantage.

And this, just a few months after my gown was ruined in a fire. Sigh
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP Just a vent/disaster at our venue

• Can you look for a new venue?  That sounds like a terrible experience, and I don't think I would want to work with that venue anymore.  Even if it was beautiful, I would always have bad feelings about it.  If you stick with them, I would push them to give you some of the stuff.  

They didn't ask you for a new deposit, did they?  I am wondering if they had an insurance policy to cover this kind of thing.  Is the venue going to recover anything from the employee, or is she gone?

Sorry you're dealing with this!
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    The venue should be going after the employee, not the clients that were taken in a scheme.  If they are not budging on anything and aren't willing to help you, I'd be very hesitant to continue with this venue.  Can you find another venue, perhaps one that is a bit cheaper to compensate for the lost deposit, that will give you what you're looking for?

I would also file a police report.  Stealing money is a crime.
  • Do you have a copy of your check or proof of payment for the deposit? If so, that should be enough for you to go back and complain to them. Bring the contract..I would bring that extra piece of paper and raise hell until they give in on something. IF you cant' get the original deal, cut your loss and move on as the place is apparantly sketchy if they realize their employee screwed people over and they aren't bending over backward to make it right which is ABSOLUTELY what they should be doing. They should be throwing extra in due to this happening

Sorry this happened to you

• They are honoring our deposit. No issue there, I had a valid receipt, but we were told that we could offer drinks to our guests, upon arrival.....that children 5 and under ate free, that children 10 and under were half price, that they would allow an extra 30 minutes to our reception time, and that we could come in either late night before, or really early the day of to set up. We were also told we could provide more of a selection at the bar (our reception is non-alcoholic), and they only offer tea, coffee, coke, sprite and diet coke.  That our vendor meals were complimentary, and also got approval for decor that we have already purchased, which they are now not allowing us to use. I guess the manager that worked with us had her plan, and didn't worry about what she offered/promised us because she knew she wouldn't be there when we found out. I think it's ridiculous to pay $55.00 per person for a three year old. But like I said, they won't honor her promises, and I spent a lot of time hashing out details with her. I am quite upset, and not sure what we are going to do....the new manager is checking into a few things and going to call me with details after she checks with management. This has more to do with new issues, and not the ones she says they won't budge on. Also, they have told us that they will shut down drink service one hour before our reception ends. It bothers me that we can't have a drink for the last hour, and that was something we were not told before. All in all, there is a bit of added expense for us, and shortened time, and now we are worried about the timeframe the day of......we have the day planned out for pictures, etc. We may have to hire someone to do the setting up, and that is an extra expense we really can't afford. When you have a budget, and you are trying to stay within it, it is difficult when things are added you aren't counting on. I know things happen, but this is not a random thing.
    Thanks to all of you who responded. The support means a lot right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • None of the things you were offered sound that crazy, so I would keep pushing back (and also on some of these new things).  You already bought decor that they won't let you use?  Tell them how much it cost you and ask them to reimburse you.  Is closing the (nonalcoholic) bar in the original contract?  If not, tell them no, they cannot do it.  

Do you have the piece of paper that the rogue manager wrote everything extra on?  Did you already sign a new contract?  

How much do you have your heart set on this venue?  If you find another venue and are ready to walk, you might have a better negotiating position with this venue (although it probably won't be a great experience, and you would need to actually be ok with the other venue).  We planned our whole wedding in less than 9 months.  I know it sucks to have to look at venues again, but I would not want to have the wedding there and I would be asking for my deposit back.
  • Yikes!  I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this!  Look into other venues, just in case you find one that you like with what you need and at a price you can afford.  Then figure out if your deposit is refundable.  Changing venues seems like a hassle, but what you're dealing with seems like a bigger hassle, IMO.  You still have time.  We began planning our wedding in February for November and we found a venue that was available.  You may still have time.  If that doesn't work, I think maybe you should consider nixing the $55 plate for the children, and have a different menu set up for them that doesn't cost as much.  If the venue is unable to provide children meals at a cheaper price than adults meals, then they are some very uncompromising people! 

On a side note:  $700-$2000 extra to relieve the headache and the worries doesn't seem like a big price.  I also don't know your financial situation, but maybe, since there is still time, you could adjust your budgeting and cut some other things out to accomodate for the added expense.  Maybe not having favors, or spending a little less on the bridal party gifts, or even on your accessories etc.  Whatever can be cut down or out to accomodate the extras may save the day.

Anniversary
  • We were told that children under 5 were free, and that we could offer a chicken tenders/fries meal for 9.99 for other kids, but that is another thing they are saying they "don't do anymore".

The issue is that this is a venue on the water. Very popular, and so I don't think they would care so much if we left. It's pretty much booked solid. And we spent a while looking for a venue where we could have the wedding outside, and the reception on site. There really isn't anywhere close that's like it. The rest are normal banquet halls, and we really didn't want to go that route.

My fiance and I talked about it, and he wants to go back and try again to hash out some of the details. Their response is unacceptable to both of us, and so we are going to try to negotiate some of the things we need to have happen.

Oh, and when I mentioned the decor we purchased that they won't let us use..........the response was, "Well, I guess you will have to take it back then, if you can."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loca4pookloca4pook member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    I would threaten to go to the media about their assistant going rogue on you. If you know any friends who are lawyers, I would also see if they would be willing to write up some kinda little statement to send to the venue. It is absolutely ridiculous to charge full price for a kids meal and the other stuff as well....they should be bending over backward to you for that happening to you by them. They shoulld be ADDING on stuff, not taking it away.....I am usually a passive person but this is a time where you need to scream like a crazy woman.....

Threaten to go public...that should scare the bejzeezus out of them

and to other brides, make sure it is in the contract.....EVERY little stupid detail should be listed....

and btw, go to your local board and tell brides the name of the venue so people can avoid having this happen to them there
  • I would go public as well. There are usually TV news spots like "9 on your side" or something- local news shows that do stories on these kinds of things. I would contact one of these consumer issue shows if you can't get anywhere with these people. $55 for a little kid's meal? That's unreasonable. And why on earth would they need to stop serving soda, tea and coffee an HOUR before the reception ends? That seems unreasonable as well. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards