Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Woes

My husband and I recently got married. Due to financial and family issues we were unable to have the wedding (we will not go into detail) or a reception at all. We are discussing doing a reception sometime in the summer but we don't know where to start. I need ideas, what not to dos, etc. We want it to be small, around 50ppl at most, relatively inexpensive, and fun. Please help!!!

Re: Reception Woes

• My sister and her fiance are doing a small destination wedding and a month later they are hosting an at home "celebration" for friends an family.  Nothing fancy -- at a park pavillion with bbq catering.  They're going to have music and picnic-type games, cupcakes, etc.  His mom wants them to do some "wedding reception - esque" stuff (cutting cake, first dance, etc), but they're a little leery on that because it's not a wedding reception..  There will be some type of guest book and favors (koozies), and one or two speeches, but it will be more of an open party (come and go) rather than a structured 1, 2, 3 event.
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • First off, it won't technically be a wedding reception, just a party to celebrate your marriage. There should:
    not be any wedding dresses (I'm ok with a casual dress that happens to be white),
    no "first dance" (but I'm in camp "I'm ok with a spotlight dance as long as you don't pretend it's your first dance" because spotlight dances are special)
    no bridal party
    no boquet/garter toss
    no bridal party

There can be:
    food
    fun
    cake (that you two can cut)
    dancing
    drinking

Since you're looking for summer, why not just do a barbecue/cookout? You can have your iPod going outside so people can dance, etc. and have lawn games fo people who are interested. Just host a party! What would you plan for a welcome home/graduation/birthday party? Go along those lines- it's not a wedding, so just as long as you don't treat it like a wedding, you will be fine!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just wanted to point out that you did have a wedding.  Granted it may not have been the wedding you had dreamed of but since you and your H did get married then you did have a wedding.

Listen to PP.  Have a big blow out party with amazing, food, booze and and music.  Dance the night away and laugh with your family and friends.

Also, feel free to recite your vows with a vow renewal ceremony prior to the party.  That is if you would like to do that in front of your family and friends.

Just remember to stay away from "traditional" wedding day elements and you will be fine.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-woes-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c2c5a23d-adc6-4110-a0b4-84ebe3574f6cPost:fec22a71-753f-47a7-b640-8ecc728a79fe">Re: Reception Woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]First off, it won't technically be a wedding reception, just a party to celebrate your marriage. There should: not be any wedding dresses (I'm ok with a casual dress that happens to be white), no "first dance" (but I'm in camp "I'm ok with a spotlight dance as long as you don't pretend it's your first dance" because spotlight dances are special) no bridal party no boquet/garter toss no bridal party There can be: food fun cake (that you two can cut) dancing drinking Since you're looking for summer, why not just do a barbecue/cookout? You can have your iPod going outside so people can dance, etc. and have lawn games fo people who are interested. Just host a party! What would you plan for a welcome home/graduation/birthday party? Go along those lines- it's not a wedding, so just as long as you don't treat it like a wedding, you will be fine!
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

This is great advice. Easy to follow guidelines!
  • But if it's the first time you dance together as husband and wife, then it is your first dance! Ha! Sorry, just being cheeky. 

If you've already boogied, then it's a spotlight dance. 
  • I'm not sure what your circumstances are and I think they are irrelevant, but I want to ask you if your vision includes having wedding day elements such as the dress and cake etc...?

If so, I think a reception is appropriate if you are considering the celebration day your wedding day and plan to recite your vows and have the wedding day elements. I know this is contrary to what others are saying but my cousin were married in a court a year before what they consider their "real" wedding date. A year later, they recited their vows in a church and had the big celebration, white dress, big meal, dancing etc... They didn't consider themselves married before then and they celebrate that day as their anniversary date.

If that's not what you're expecting, then what the others said applies. I personally feel more lax about dancing or cake. 

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards