Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Site Ideas Detroit/Toledo - Destination Wedding at home reception!

Hi!  I am looking for some ideas for a reception hall/area for our reception.  My fiance and I are getting married in May 10 in Mexico and want to have a party in June, after we get back, for all the people that we couldnt invite to Mexico or could not come.  Any ideas that is not too expensive??  We want it to be nice, but not a full blown reception.  Our families live in the Toledo area, and also the Metro Detroit area.  So either area would be nice or some where in the middle!!Thanks - jjwed 

Re: Reception Site Ideas Detroit/Toledo - Destination Wedding at home reception!

• No need to post this one 4 seperate boards. The local is the best place for it. Also, it looks a bit gift grabby to throw yourself a party and invite people who you didn't invite to the wedding.
  • Hey! I'm from Toledo and doing the same thing. I posted on the message board once about this and lots of other brides really chastised me for having a second reception, but I have a lot of potential guests who just can't afford to travel to DC for the wedding and requested that we do something along these lines so they could meet my soon-to-be husband. My parents are just going to host a catered open house at their home/backyard. I don't know why people get so up in arms about it--you're inviting people over to your house for a party with free food and alcohol without requesting gifts...as long as you're not rude about it, I don't see a down side.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend. Lourdes College's Franciscan Center is a fabulous space you could use. Also, the Strawberry Acres Park in Holland (by the library, not the homecoming park on Angola Rd.) built a brand new reception facility that is surprisingly nice as well. You can also rent out half of it if you don't have enough guests to fill the whole thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards