Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Suggestions for a fun reception "extra"?

My fiance and I had wanted to hire a professional cigar roller for a few hours after dinner, but our venue's grounds are non-smoking.  Any suggestions for something extra like this we could do that would be nice for our guests and kind of unique?  We've been to a wedding where they offered a dessert cordials tasting bar (e.g. Frangelico served in a chocolate edible shotglass, yum!), but that seems like it could get very pricey.  We don't have space for a photobooth.
Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for a fun reception "extra"?

• Options
    One fun extra I have seen that shouldn't be that pricey is an old fashioned "build your own" sundae or float bar. Ice cream and assorted toppings like candy, whip, chocolate and fruit are refreshing, engaging extra - especially in summer!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-for-a-fun-reception-extra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d080667e-8ee1-41e7-b09c-a987ea5faf7bPost:abbece0a-193b-48b3-9623-25626e5eb11d">Re: Suggestions for a fun reception "extra"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One fun extra I have seen that shouldn't be that pricey is an old fashioned "build your own" sundae or float bar. Ice cream and assorted toppings like candy, whip, chocolate and fruit are refreshing, engaging extra - especially in summer!
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

LOVE THIS!!!
  • Options
    Espresso bar?  I love coffee after dinner.

Mentioning a photo booth made me think of this - when I've been on cruises, on formal night, they have the photographers go around and do photos of all the couples/families.  What if you had your photog(s) do that during dinner then during the reception sent it off to a 1 hr photo place (you'd need a DOC or someone to go get them, of course) and gave everyone a 5 x 7 of themselves in their dressy clothes?  That would take serious coordination - cooperative photographer etc - could be a lot of work.
  • Options
    Do you have a corner where you could set up a DIY photo booth?  It wouldn't take a ton of room, you'd just need a backdrop (something simple like a sheet would work fine) and then maybe a box of fun props, like hats, wigs, boas, silly things like that.   We do this for the dances at my school and it seriously only takes about 9 sq feet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-for-a-fun-reception-extra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d080667e-8ee1-41e7-b09c-a987ea5faf7bPost:af733c15-2c94-4d6b-8608-9014b58e61a3">Re: Suggestions for a fun reception "extra"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a corner where you could set up a DIY photo booth?  It wouldn't take a ton of room, you'd just need a backdrop (something simple like a sheet would work fine) and then maybe a box of fun props, like hats, wigs, boas, silly things like that.   We do this for the dances at my school and it seriously only takes about 9 sq feet.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. Photobooths are so fun. My best friend got some amazing photos that she wouldn't have gotten otherwise. </div>
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We had a sundae bar, with 3 types of ice cream, raspberry sorbet, and various toppings/sauces.

We also had the caterer pick up for us some pre-ordered "sliders" (ie small burgers like White Castles) and fries from a local burger joint. They only charged us the actual cost, picked them up, put them on nice trays with french fries. She told us they could never make them for the price of the "burger joint", LOL....nice honest caterer!  Guests loved that. We ordered 30 cheeseburgers, burgers and fries for what was at a later hour about 50 guests. Worked out perfectly, the kids took the leftovers to the hotel.

Here's a picture:

I've also heard of coffee stations with "Dunkin Donut holes" or similar breakfast bites for before guests leave.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    A caricature artist.  If we don't go with the photobooth after all I am considering this. 

We also just attended a wedding where the bride and goom had a vendor setup a mini-doughnut "booth" and it was a HUGE hit.  They made them, fried them on the spot, and sprinkled them with powdered sugar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_suggestions-for-a-fun-reception-extra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d080667e-8ee1-41e7-b09c-a987ea5faf7bPost:abbece0a-193b-48b3-9623-25626e5eb11d">Re: Suggestions for a fun reception "extra"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One fun extra I have seen that shouldn't be that pricey is an old fashioned "build your own" sundae or float bar. Ice cream and assorted toppings like candy, whip, chocolate and fruit are refreshing, engaging extra - especially in summer!
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

My cousin did this, and people loved it so much that her cake was almost untouched.
  • Options
    I like all these ideas. I would love a fun extra at the reception, but I was thinking maybe a ice cream bar for edible fun and maybe some kind of dance group for the entertainment fun (Carnaval, Belly Dancing, Hip Hop Dance troop, etc). 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I like the cigar roller idea...too bad it won't work out! We have a gourmet coffee bar & are also having our college mascot (Sparty!!!) come to the reception. I've heard of wine or whiskey tastings at receptions. I would stray away from any dance troupes, etc...i personally think its weird and a waste of time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards