Wedding Reception Forum

anyone doing a cocktal hour?

I don't know if i want to do one. The reception and wedding will be taking place at the same area. Is anyone planning on doing one and if so how are you doing it
Thanks

Re: anyone doing a cocktal hour?

• We're not, our ceremony and reception are taking place in same venue. Right after ceremony, we're having dinner.
    My friend got married a few months ago and they had cocktail 1 hour after the ceremony while they were taking pictures. It depends on how long you do it for, alot of guests got restless after 30 minutes of waiting and standing around.
  • We are having our ceremony and reception at the same place as well.  Since we are at a hotel, we have a hospitality suite and other things for the guests to do while we take pictures, and then the cocktail hour will start.  As long as you give people a place to hang out, I don't think they'll be upset.....especially if they're only waiting an hour.  You'll only get to take the wedding pics once, and I think that the people attending your wedding love you enough to understand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never been to a wedding without a cocktail hour.  Are you taking photos after the ceremony?  If so, what will the guests do while you're getting the pictures done?

My DD had here ceremony (outdoor) and reception (indoor) in the same place.  After ceremony, guests went through the receiving line and were directed inside to the CH while WP and families went to have pictures taken.

After photos, WP assembled in the hallway for the intros into the reception and the party started.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We didn't do photos between and the ceremony and reception were in the same room, so we went pretty much straight from one to the other without a cocktail hour.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    If you're doing pictures between the ceremony and dinner, you really should do something to keep the rest of your guests entertained.  I've been to more low-key weddings where afternoon tea was offered (scones, tea, lemonade, self-serve) rather than the more traditional passed appetizers with open bar.  Personally, I'm planning an open bar with both passed appetizers and a couple food displays for the hour before dinner.  It allows time for pictures and also mingling between guests seated at separate tables.
  • ya i plan on having pictures done between the 2, but is it weird to have a cocktail hr in the same place as the reception then? Like they can set at the table where they are going to eat. We are having a open bar all night. 
  • I'm having my ceremony, cocktail hour and reception all in one place. The ceremony is outside, and then the cocktail hour is in a little courtyard area and the reception is inside. I agree that it will give my guests something to do while we're taking pictures. Also it gives a little bit more options of food for people who may not like the dinner menu items.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    98 image Invited to celebrate!
    57 image Will be attending
    6 image Will be missing out
    35 image Can't Find their mailbox

• As I said:  DD's cocktail hour was at the same place where the wedding and reception were.

For that matter:  EVERY cocktail hour is at the same place as the reception is.  Why would that be weird?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Our cocktail hour was in the same room as dinner/dancing and it worked out fine.  I've only been to a handful of weddings in which the cocktails and dinner were in separate rooms.  The majority have just been in the same room and there were no issues with transition.  At ours, people had a few drinks/apps, found their tables and set their stuff down, and mingled until dinner started.  It worked out just fine.
  • We did one.  We wouldn't have been able to do our pictures (DH didn't want to see me before the ceremony so pics beforehand were out) if we hadn't had a cocktail hour.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Yes, immediately following the ceremony, our guests will enjoy a cocktail hour while we take a walk to the waterfront for photos. 
  • ok so when the ceremony is over everyone will walk over to the other building and have a cocktail hour and just mingle eat some appetizers and then when I'm done with the pictures everyone find there set and then we are starting the reception. I think that will work what kind of appetizers did you all doing?
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2010

If there are separate rooms/spaces for ceremony and reception, and you are starting the reception dinner right away, then you don't really need a cocktail hour.  But timing matters too.  If it's a typical meal time, then you can go ahead and start dinner right away.  If it's earlier, then guests may want a little time to relax, visit, and have a drink before dinner.

If the ceremony and reception are in the same room, or if you are taking photos after the ceremony, you need to consider the comfort of your guests.  It would be rude to keep them waiting for more than 10-15 with nothing to drink or nibble on, nothing to do, nowhere to sit.

It doesn't have to be a full hour of cocktails and hors d-oeuvres, it can be 20-30 mintues of non alcholic refreshments, with cheese and crackers, with a few chairs or coctail tables.

• Our cocktail hour will be in the reception room after the ceremony (same location) We are going to do assorted canapes, brushetta and stuffed mushrooms. Maybe a few others. Check with your caterer to see what they offer.

• Everything for our wedding is at one location.  We are having a cocktail hour even though we are hoping to get most of our pictures done prior to our ceremony.  After the ceremony, we are doing family pictures, hoping it will not take too long.  During the cocktail hour, we hope to mingle with our guests before heading in for dinner and dancing.  

Our thinking was that we could use most of our cocktail hour to spend time with our guests so we do not have to make the rounds as much during the reception.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • We are doing a cocktail hour, and our ceremony and reception are at different places.  I know nobody wants people to be a wasted mess at their wedding, but people, myself included, enjoy drinking at weddings.  I would be a disappointed if there was no bar open before dinner to get a drink or two, and especially to get a drink for dinner.  Even if you are doing wine on the table not everyone likes wine.  And you don't need a ton of food, just some light snacks for people like cheese and crackers. 

Our cocktail hour starts at 6, and is in the lobby outside of the ballroom.  Our invitations clearly state that dinner will be served after, so people can choose to come closer to 7 if they wish.  During cocktail hour people will get their place cards and can sign the guest book too.  We are having a fruit and cheese display and a bruschetta display for guests.  We wanted to do passed apps too but with 270 on the guest list it was getting crazy expensive so we nixed it.  I know many people will think this is bad, but we won't be in our cocktail hour. We will be in the bridal suites behind the ballroom.  At 7 the doors will open and people will go to their tables and sit, and then we are announced in from the back. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My reception package includes a cocktail hour, but I would find it really weird to not have one.  It will also be in the same room as the rest of the reception.  There will be a cheese and fruit tray and some passed apps.
    Married 10/2/10
  • We had a cocktail hour because we needed that hour to finish pictures.  If you don't need that hour to do anything, just go ahead and start the reception.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never attended a wedding without a cocktail hour so it never occured to me to not have one. My ceremony and reception were at the same venue; we did pics before the ceremony. We had a cocktail hour (that we attended) and then moved into the ballroom for dinner and dancing. I've gone to some weddings where the cocktail hour was in the same room as the reception -- personally I prefer a separate room, but that's just personal taste and I don't see anything wrong with having them both in the same room.
  • I'm having one.  I will also be attending mine since we are doing the formals beforehand.  
  • JillCGJillCG member
    First Comment
    We are doing one, I"m getting married Oct 16 at a five star hotel in Nashville. We will have butlers with champagne being passed around and southern style food like little  ham and biscuits and small fried green tomatoes. I had a cute idea for the rim of the glasses, to put a round piece of card stock on each rim that says "Eat. Drink. We're Married!" Love, Jill and Jon  Hopefully the guests will think it is a cute personal touch. One reason we are doing the cocktail party is the cake will be in the lobby, along with the guests at first. We will arrive and be swept up to the balcony where we will be first introduced, looking out over everyone. We will cut the cake first, along with the toasts, with the champagne from the cocktail hour. Then we will all go into the main ballroom for the actual sit down dinner.

Check out my blog www.mynashvillewedding.wordpress.com with lots more info on my wedding planning! The good, bad and ugly. haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards