Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cruiser Tables for Afternoon Reception

I am having a destination wedding, but am planning a reception back home for when we return.  At the reception, my mom is going to be making a HUGE buffet for about 200 guests.  The reception is to be held on a Sunday afternoon....very casual.  I was planning to have 20x5' round tables to seat the guests (and rent tableclothes and chair covers) but my fiance thought it would be better to have smaller "cruiser" tables around the venue so that people would mingle with each other more, especially since it is in the afternoon and is not a "sit-down" meal per se.  We aren't going to be having speeches or dancing because it is not our thing.

He was thinking that if we sit everyone down, they won't mingle as much and they will expect things to be happening (speeches, dances etc).  He thought maybe we could use large rectangular tables for the food, then about 15 cruiser tables (small tables that stand about 4 feet high and are about 3 feet wide--stand up and eat at them, no chairs) and stick white tablecloths on those with a small floral centerpiece in the middle of them.  This way people would move around, talk to different people etc. as they wouldn't be restricted to chairs.

The venue is also on the water, with a large wrap around deck, so he thought that without the sit-down tables people may spend more time on the deck as well.

Has anyone seen this before? What do you think of this idea?

Re: Cruiser Tables for Afternoon Reception

• Options
    IMO, you need to provide a seat for everyone.  Your elderly guests probably are unable to stand for that long and you never know what unseen disabilities your guests have that would preclude them from standing for long periods of time.

Trust me, people aren't just going to sit the entire time and not talk to people.  You can't force people to mingle anyway just because there are no tables to sit at.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I prefer to sit. 

Anyway, 15 tiny tables will not be enough for 200 people, leaving a lot of guests trying to balance a plate and hold on to their drink, with no hands to actually bring the food to their mouths! not fun.
  • Options
    People won't mingle more, they will 'camp out" in their seats so they don't get taken.  Tell your FI that your guests are grown ups and will mingle as they please and should be able to sit as they please.  I always hate to see this idea - it fails.
  • Options
    You don't have enough seating.  Tell your FI to go outside, stand in one place.  Now give him a jacket, a camera, a handbag (just so he'll understand what the women will be dealing with), a plate with food on it, and a glass with a drink in it.

Now have him stand there for a hour.  Then ask him how he feels about having enough tables for everyone.

Not having enough seating doesn't encourage mingling.  And please, people, stop assuming that only "elderly" people need seats.  I'm hardly elderly-I'm MOB age-but I prefer a seat when I'm at a wedding or other party.  So do the people my kids' ages-and they're not anywhere near elderly.

Have your party.  Just be sure to have seating and table space for your guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards