Wedding Reception Forum
Options

"Grand Entrance"

So when me, my fiance and our wedding party arrive at the recpetion location all of our guests will be inside enjoying cocktail hour. Generally the bridal party goes into the bridal suite to touch up makeup or whatever, and have a drink together. Then the bridal party is "announced." I find this silly and kind of embarassing.. I think, I am not really sure how I feel about this for sure. How did your entrance go?? DJ annouces names and bridal party goes directly to the dance floor for the bridal party dance, followed by the bridal dance?? What is tradidionally done in terms of sequences of events and what are you all doing? I DO NOT want to make people sit there and watch a million dances.

Re: "Grand Entrance"

• Options
    And by generally I mean at our venue. I have no idea what peoeple generally do elsewhere. I have only been to a handful of weddings. 
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited March 2013
    no. and i find the term 'grand entrance' to be irritating as well.

if you have family members being introduced they go first-grandparents, parents etc.. then the BM and GM and then the B&G. B&G immediately have their first dance. the bridal party dances make me want to gouge my eyes out. skip it.

• Options
    Our DJ announced our parents, the bridal party and then us.  H and I went directly into our first dance.  We did not do the bridal party dance because they are just boring as hell to watch. 

Keep spotlight dances to a minimum. We did our first dance then father/daughter and then mother/son. That is is.  We also got them out of the way first thing so that once dinner was over with the party could get started.  We also opted out of the bouquet and garter toss.  And even though H and I cut our cake we didn't make an announcement because it was kind of a last decision thing brought on by a couple glasses of wine and people wanting their cupcakes.

Also, if you do not want to do any entrance at all that is fine.  You could join your guests for cocktail hour instead of waiting if you really wanted to.  Then at a certain time/hour your DJ could ask everyone to clear the floor for the first dance of the new Mr. and Mrs. Jsurmacy.

• Options
    We skipped the entrace & introductions. As a BM I always found it embarrassing and I was always afraid I would trip in my heels and bite it. We just walked into our reception as if we were anyone else coming in, sat at our table and dinner began. We did our first dance and the father/daughter + mother/son dance after dinner.

Please please please skip the WP dance, or perhaps towards the end of your first dance, ask the WP members + their dates/SOs to join you guys. There is nothing more awkward to me than having to slow dance with some guy I met at the rehearsal dinner. I'd much rather dance with my husband. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to just skip the BP dance -- just screams awkward to me .. then again maybe I am just lame!! Either way I think I will just do the bridal dance, and then the father/daughter dance. I am betting fiance will not want to do the mother/son, I will have to check on that. 

And I am absolutely not doing garter or bouquet toss!!!!

Thanks again :)
  • Options
    Our wedding party went straight to the reception after the ceremony to begin partying.  Immediate family stayed behind for about 10 minutes at the ceremony site to get family portraits and then went to the reception.  My H and I grabbed a quick snack before going into the reception where cocktails/food were already being served and did our first dance immediately after being announced as husband and wife for the first time.
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    We didn't do a grand entrance and our only spotlight dance was our first dance, which we did after dinner and toasts.

My sister, on the other hand, had us do a choreographed grand entrance with lip syncing and actions...
  • Options
    I caught the bouquet at a friend's wedding and was so embarrassed when the guy who caught the garter had to put it on my leg. I will be doing the bouquet garter toss but not the part where a stranger puts the garter up a girls leg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards