Wedding Reception Forum

Please help me with colour ideas!!

Hi guys, I'm a British bride planning to get married to my American fiance in August/September this year (yes, I realise this should be definite by now- originally the plan was December, but I've literally just decided the sooner the better!)
   However, where we will be holding our reception, in a hotel, the carpet in the room is red with yellow swirls!!! I know this shouldnt matter to me but Im having a hard time trying to figure out colour schemes that won't completely clash... or do you think you wouldnt notice the carpet too much anyway?
    When we originally planned a December wedding, we were going to go with a black and white theme but since the dates changed to a late Summer wedding, I'm not sure those colours will be as suitable? What does everyone think? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Laura.xxx

Re: Please help me with colour ideas!!

• Black and white works for any time of the year.  We're doing black and white in April.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Black and white should be fine.

Will you be having dim lighting in the reception hall?  If you are, I probably wouldn't even notice the carpet anyway.  Or you could do some up lighting to take away focus.
  • Black and white is classic no matter what time of year.

As far as the carpet goes, I wouldn't stress over it too much. Maybe see if there's a way you could play with the lighting to minimalize what the carpet looks like, but I really wouldn't worry.

I mean, really, if your guests actually say "That would have been such a great a wedding, too bad the carpet clashed with everything", then your nearest and dearest are tools, lol.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • A black and white hotel wedding is classic any time of year.

My hotel venue carpet was red and gold -- I don't think anyone noticed it.  My colors were black, champagne and ivory and I did all white flowers.  I almost did black dresses and red rose bouquets and centerpieces.

• I understand where you're coming from with the venue colors matching your wedding colors. It's not like it's super important, but you want everything to look nice together. Our venue's carpet sounds similar, it's maroon & gold. I choose purple, irovy & black.
    I agree w/ PP's about using black & white all year though. If that's the color's you like, go for it!

• Thanks so much for the advice, girls... I do really like the idea of black and white, though theres talk of maybe using a red to tie the colour scheme in a bit and making it a bit more summery to match the date. Either way, you're right... I wouldnt expect anyone to comment on the colour of the carpet (unless maybe they were an interior designer?? and luckily I dont know any of those..lol) Whats with these hotels using random colour carpets though? What ever happened to plain?? Seriously though, thank you so much- you've put me much more at ease about the whole thing!
  • If you really wanted to play off of the carpet colors, you could just have a 'fall' color scheme.  Reds, oranges, rust, copper, yellows - you can use these colors in flowers, BM dresses, anything really.

I do love classic black and white.  Just thought I would trow out the fall color options as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards