Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Bridal Shower Vent (LONG)

So I had my shower a cpl weekends ago, thrown by my FMIL. A couple of girls that had RSVP didn't show up and I'm kinda pissed about it. I don't know if I should hold a grudge or not. (FMIL had to still pay for them so wasted over $100). Here's the back story:A girl that didn't show was a gf of mine from HS - was my bff, but we've lost touch since then and have really grown apart, basically have nothing in common anymore and if I had met her now, she would not be my type of friend. She just had her bridal shower the week before mine (she's getting married in Oct, me in Nov - she got "engaged" months after me, but has been with her FI since we were kids) and although I didn't really want to go, I made the effort. At her shower she mentioned how uncomfortable she was going to mine cuz she wouldn't know anyone and asked if her sister could go - I of course said that was perfectly fine. Well my shower came and she didn't show or call as did 3 other girls, which really disappointed me. I got home and found a Facebook message from the morning saying she got called into work and wasn't coming. First of all - like you couldn't call and say that? Second - I also saw on facebook that her sister went out of town on a canoeing trip, so I was thinking she made up the getting called into work. So after a few days of her sending I'm sorry messages and me not responding, I finally told her - that yes I was mad and that I didn't believe her. (she also had said she had a gift for me in her original message, yet I received a gift card in the mail - who gives a gift card at a shower? That just made me believe more that she had no intention of going. She responded with being an adult means things happen blah blah... really irked me more and that her sister was never going and that she planned on bringing her mom. So my question is if that's your response - I'm giving up a minimum of a $500 shift at work to be at her wedding (Tigers vs. White Sox game - so if anyone knows baseball - this will be the series that could seal the playoffs for the Tigers and take them to the World Series - so it will be extremely busy at my work where I bartend). Should I not go to her wedding? My FI says no - we're not friends anymore and are forcing this relationship to continue - should I just call it quits here? (She's almost 80% not likely to attend mine for financial reasons). Sorry this is so long. Thanks for letting me vent! Am I being petty?

Re: Bridal Shower Vent (LONG)

• Options
    I would not go if the friendship is being forced.  Just tell her it is a big game and you have to work.
  • Options
    Thanks Girls! I think I just needed to get it out and see it from some other perspectives. Deep down I think I know what to do, it's just hard being a nice person, to end a friendship. There's other drama throughout the years, that I won't bother to bore you with, I think this was just the last straw... Thanks for letting me vent!
  • Options
    I agree with all pp, it's not worth it to force a friendship.  And I also don't think she's worth you missing a huge shift like that, plus then spending money on her for a wedding gift!  It's def hard to loose a friend, but it's much harder to pretend and much more stressful.  GL, sorry you have to be going through this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards