Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Would this upset you?

Fi's brother is getting married next month.  In their wedding registry there is really nothing directed towards fi's brother (they're registered at a JcPenny's type store). So we decided to get one gift card for the store they're registered at and one one gift card of equal value to homedepot. We know that fi's bro has been fixing up his place so the giftcard could go towards something. I don't know if getting a gift card at a place they're not registered is going to upset his fiance.  She is super up tight and I'm sure she's already going to find it offensive that we're giving them giftcards. Would you be upset if you got a giftcard to homedepot on top of a giftcard to the place you're registered?Personally I would love it because I know fiance would love it and it's his wedding too. Just wanted to get other ladies perspectives :o) Thanks!

Re: Would this upset you?

• Options
    That's totally fine.  A gracious host will be thankful for whatever gift you choose.  Why would she be upset you're giving them gift cards?  Because she thinks you should pick out a gift?  Like buying an item off of a registry is more personal?  In fact, I think you should ONLY get the Home Depot GC.  She sounds like a peach. Personally, I always give cash as a wedding gift.
  • Options
    No it would not upset me!  Who doesn't like giftcards? Aimee
  • Options
    This happened at my shower and I was completely grateful! FI's mom got us a GC to where we were registered AND a GC to home depot b/c FI is constantly going there now that we have a house.I was totally fine with it and even excited actually! So hopefully she won't take offense and even if she does....ohwell!!
  • Options
    I would love it! I always spend way too much money at HD anyway =) Don't worry about what she thinks, for you guys it's more about your FI's brother not her. I know that sounds mean, but I hope you know what I meant
  • Options
    I totally wouldn't care either, but there are those "people should only buy things off the registry" bride. I wouldn't worry about it if you know it's something your brother would appreciate.
  • Options
    My Aunt gave us a gift card for home depot at our couples shower... and I thought it was awesome! It was nice to see someone think about HIM as well. I think its a great idea :-)
  • Options
    I would be so excited if someone got us a GC to HD. I was actually pretty bummed when I found out the HD doesn't have a gift registry....if they did, the majority of our registry items would be from there. If she gets offended who cares...that's her problem that she's so ungrateful to people who are being generous and thoughtful.
  • Options
    I personally think that's a wonderful idea and very thoughtful of you.  Esp since you know that he is trying to fix up his place, it would be very useful. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think that's really thoughtful!  It might be nice to get a useful gift not just on the registry because then it's a surprise!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't be upset over a gift card - I would prefer them.  And I wouldn't be upset that it was a gift card directed towards FI.  I would be excited for him to feel special and get to buy "boy things"!
  • Options
    Maybe I am just feeling feisty today but I say just get them a HD gift card :) IMNSHO Your giving them a gift, there should be no complaints about it no matter what it is..
  • Options
    I think it is great, go for it!!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would be totally happy with a gift card.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards