Destination Weddings Discussions

Negative reactions to destination weddings?

Does anyone have advice about people who are upset that you aren't having a local wedding?

Re: Negative reactions to destination weddings?

• I have had a few family members and friends that I was having a DW and I just tell them that I will be having a "celebration" when we get back from the wedding, and they can come have a good time with us there.  Let them know that it is your and your FI's day and you want to do it how you want to, not how anyone else wants you to do it.  

You can also video tape the saying of the vows and play it at your at home reception, and make sure to take lots of pictures so that it seems like they were really at the wedding with you.  

HTH!
    Good luck
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • I think we have all had that.  People would have negative reactions to anything..church wedding, non shurch wedding, big small, kids, no kids.  You can't ever please everyone, so this is YOUR wedding and you are going to please the two of you.  Keep your head up.  WE have all been there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have yet to have any family members say anything negative about our DW.
    everyone especially our parents have been really supportive and extremly excited about it.
    But all I can say is if its your wedding do what you want.  We are paying for it so we want ithe way we want it.  I'm not going to sacrifice what I want because someone is upset or wants something different.  I would do the same if our wedding was local. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My side of the family was ALL about, as were all of our friends.  FI's family however, still... 1.5 years after we told everyone our plans and a mere month before the wedding... complain and make comments.  But i'm over it.  We just trudged through our plans and kept smiles on our faces and they'll all deal with it.
  • We have had mixed reactions.. some people sooo very excited and cant wait to go and then some who are just rude about it- but our family even if they cant go are all making attempts to be at our reception back home. Suprisingly with the mixed feedback of the wedding we have 32 for sure RSVPS to Hawaii.

I had one person call my wedding miami vice- which I assume was out of jealousy. I had one person tell me it isnt a real wedding because it is a destination wedding and not in a church. And I have heard many people complain that it is selfish that we would want our guests to travel- Bottom Line is IT IS MY WEDDING.. so if ya don't like it then don't come.  Also we were hoping that because it was a destination wedding it would seed out all those complainers to not come and it would be the people that actually care enought to travel and about us to come.

Our families are from the midwest and the west coast and we live in texas so either way there would have been travel.. we just made it where we wanted to travel..

Remember your wedding your way!! Best advice my sister in law gave me was to do it your way and not give in to other peoples wants.  Good Luck

• I agree that you'll have negative responses from some people in some way, shape or form with regard to your DW.  But it is, like everyone says, YOUR wedding, so as long as you're footting the bill for everything, then nobody has a say in it whatsoever.  If your parents (or anyone else) are contibuting any $$, then you may want to consider their input, however, make sure you let them know ahead of time that this is YOUR wedding and you're going to do what YOU want.  If they don't like it, then they don't have to contribute to it.

For the most part, those close to you SHOULD respect what you and your FI wants, however there will always be those that you can't please either way.

Good luck, and remember that this day will be very special for you no matter what!!!
  • I've had almost all of my 52 guests(plus1) invited balk about the idea of our DW. (compromise with FMIL to invite ALL family members) When we get married, we'll be just shy of 2 years engagement. The WHOLE time we've been saying DW.

My FMIL asked me "Don't you think you'll regret not having a big traditional wedding at home, where all your distance relatives and friends can come?"

I carefully thought about that and the answer was the opposite. I would regret giving in to the pressure from ol'school family members and not having my DW. 

My FI isn't happy that we don't have their support but we've prepared ourselves for an intimate wedding party of 2 and I can't stop smiling at the thought of that's how our forever will begin. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Can I tell you how much I could careless that my future in-laws are not happy that we are getting married in Barbados. They are not happy that they can not come eat and drink up our money . He has told them that this is my day and this is what I want. If they are not happy with it than oh well. They can see the pictures when we get back. My family and friends have no problem with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards