Destination Weddings Discussions

What NOT to say about your DW

I found this blog entry on Martha Stewart Weddings about what not to say about your DW really helpful.  Especially this:

2. We're getting married there because it's so much less expensive.
It may be less expensive in another region to have the elaborate event you want. But if the end result is that your *guests* are spending more to travel, you may leave the impression that you're happy to save money at their expense.

More here...
http://blogs1.marthastewart.com/weddings/2009/11/what-not-to-say-about-your-destination-wedding.html

Re: What NOT to say about your DW

• That makes perfect sense.  I actually say the opposite when my FIL's make snide remarks about our resort being all inclusive.  I mean we're still paying as much for our wedding per head as they probably paid for theirs.  And I would almost say we are paying more because of the OOT bags, and all the other little touches that we put into it. 

• I completely disagree with that Article. I think all of the things they talk about are valid reasons for why couple decide to do a DW. Here is my response:

We're having a DW and i've mentioned probably most of these reasons to some people. I of course will not blab about how cheap everything is, but as young professionals just starting out, that's a huge factor in where we have our wedding.
    If we took all of these points into account, we won't have ANY answers about why we are doing a DW. The people that matter most won't take it personally if you say any of the things above.

Just my two cents..
  • I don't know why anyone would say that to anyone, period. It's really nobody else's business. We chose our destination wedding because we happen to visit the destination every year and love it. We couldn't imagine getting married anywhere more special, in addition we wanted to share our favorite place with friends and family.

I don't know if anyone else is having this experience, but it would've actually been cheaper for us if we did not have a destination wedding.

I hate that companies/people publish things like that because it makes everyone assume that destination weddings are cheap for the couple, when in fact, at least for us and a few people we know, that is not the case.

• I think the point is that while it may be less expensive for the bride and groom to have a DW, it's not for the guests, so when they ask why you're doing it, it's nicer to tell them why you chose that particular location.  And maybe my family that goes to Hawaii regularly can afford it fine, but I also have friends coming who are saving a lot to be there with us, which they wouldn't have had to do if we weren't doing a DW, so it's just nice to be sensitive to that.

Meanwhile, FI told me he'd been telling ppl that we were doing a DW in HI b/c it's cheaper, which he's not going to do anymore 1) b/c I read him this article, and 2) b/c it's not really true anymore (hello, budget!).
  • Haha, I think we have said a couple things on this list.  Oh well, Martha can suck it!
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • I know I have said a few things on this list, but I found this article to be very helpful.  Thank you for sharing.
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards