Destination Weddings Discussions

AHR favors?

Are they a must do or just an extra perk?
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: AHR favors?

• I think it depends on what kind of AHR you're having.  If you're doing a full blown reception with dj, cake, garter toss, etc.... yes, do them. If you're doing an informal open house or BBQ in your back yard, they're not necessary.

The way I see it, if people are taking time out of their busy lives, possibly traveling to come celebrate with you, and most likely bringing you a card or a gift, the more hospitality you can afford to show them, the better.  But that's just me.
  • We're doing a small dinner at a nice Latin restaurant. We're making it really clear we don't want gifts and are paying for everyone's dinner and drinks.

I just wasn't sure if we should or not since it's not full blown thing. We are considering boxed cupcakes from Sprinkles if we do favors.

I just thought it might be nice to have a little box or bag of something at each place setting.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Mmmm..... Sprinkles..... Can I come?  lol  Just kidding.  If your budget allows, I think your guests would appreciate the cupcakes.  And if not, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
  • I agree with Lisa. It would be a nice gesture but not entirely necessary.
  • JessiiJJessiiJ member
    First Comment
    I've noticed people look at favors like how kids look at loot bags. They expect them, wont say anything if they don't get anything, but will spend the evening disappointed. 
    With that said, I think a small token would be lovely, it's a kind way of saying "thanks for spending time with me". My friend who had an AHW had pewter castles at everyone's seat and those were the favors. They probably cost her a dollar each. (She and her DH are both Scottish, so their tables named according to the different castles in Scotland and it the wedding was in this little cottage-like hall that was very celtic... so pretty!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageimage
  • If you are going to do favors, think of something practical that everyone can use.  I got a wine stopper at the last one which is great for me because I'm a huge wine drinker, but if your family/friends aren't a bunch of winos most will go to waste.  I got a shot glass at one which I loved because I collect shot glasses (though, don't often drink booze, I just really like shot glasses) so I loved that, but it may not be the best choice if you have alcoholic in your family.

I love it when brides and grooms donate money to an organization that means something to them instead.  I did this for my first wedding and started a little trend that year amongst my friends.  We donated to Invisible Children which is an organization my XH and I worked with from time to time.  Then my friends from work donated to Jeff Ewin's organization for animal rescue, and then another friend donated to a cancer research organization since her FIL had just passed away from cancer.  All of those things were extremely meaningful for the b&g and as a guest I felt better about that then walking away with a trinket.  You can still give guests something- we gave everyone a bookmark explaining what Invisible Children does and my other friends gave out those plastic bracelets with the name of the organization/the name of the FIL on them.

I don't have an organization picked out just yet for our wedding, but this is what we will do.  I'm thinking of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep since I just started volunteering with them, or Becky's House in San Diego which helped me leave my XH.

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards