Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Help! We can't agree on his attire!!!

My FI and I have been debating (nicely) his attire for our wedding. We are planning an afternoon ceremony on the beach in the Riviera Maya, Mexico in November 2011. I think he would look so handsome in a simple tan/light colored suit (but NOT white). He insists on wearing a black pinstripe suit. It's going to be a small affair, only about 30 people. I am concerned that a black suit or tux is going to be way too hot and look a little out of place on the beach!

Also, when I am flipping through pictures of wedding dresses, he really likes the short dresses and the very simple ones. I'm not looking for a huge ballgown, and prefer a simpler dress. But I feel like a simple dress will look out of place next to a tux or black suit on the beach! I did find some really pretty A line and Empire waisted dresses that have a good bit of lace and beading but not so over the top that it will look silly on the beach. I don't want a train, or a veil. I also want to be barefoot but he wants to have shoes. It seems like such silly things to be debating about but it is driving me crazy LOL.

Basically my main question is this: is it appropriate for the men to wear a black suit or tux at an afternoon wedding on the beach in Mexico?

Re: Help! We can't agree on his attire!!!

• Options
    edited November 2010
    my FI originally wanted to do an all black tuxedo....i got to the point that i told him, he can wear what he wants to wear,but i also reminded him that were gonna be getting married its gonna be crazy hot and if he makes his groomsmen wear dark tuxedos, theyre all going to be hot and cranky. i also told him if hes hot and cranky then that is something he put on himself and will have to hear about about it for the rest of my life whenever anyone asks about our wedding.

once i told him all of that the idea of a light linen suit sounded alot better to him and now hes very excited about it.Laughing

ETA::: i didnt see your last question....dont worry about what is appropriate and whats not. its your wedding and whatever you and your FI want, will make it YOUR wedding. Something that can be a personalization on your wedding can be "inappropriate" for something else. just keep in mind its YOUR wedding, and you cant please everyone. just do what will make you happy at the end of the day
  • Options
    I agree with PP's.  He can wear what he wants.  I think he will be super hot in a tux though.  To prove your point I might would look up the avg temp that time of year.  Also if you start to show him pics of other beach weddings he will start to see most guys don't wear tuxes.  In the end what he wears is up to him.  It's your wedding so you can do whatever you want.  :)
  • Options
    Like PP have said, my FI originally wanted a tux too. I think that's just what guys automatically think they need to wear to look nice at their wedding. I just said "Really? You're going to be really hot." He came around after seeing what other grooms have worn for a beach wedding and is now probably going to wear a light/tan suit (and he'll most likely be taking off the jacket after the ceremony) with leather sandals. I was originally planning on going barefoot, but I'm thinking about at least wearing a platform flip flop or wedges to wear since FI is 10 inches taller than me, otherwise I'd be totally on board with going barefoot even if he is going to wear sandals (it's a lot less noticeable on the bride under her dress than on the groom).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would just ask him if on the hottest day in jersey, would he wear a black suit around?  The average weather in Riviera Maya is low 80's for the high and the low is low 70's in November, but it's also hurricane season and it can go from open to overcast in no time. 

What about pinstriped pants with a nice white dress shirt and black tie for a compromise?  There aren't no rules, so it's all about what you want in your pictures forever :)

Your dress is up to you.  You can have a simpler dress that is longer with barely a train.  I think my dress is a little dressy for the beach and for what FI is wearing, but I don't care.  It's satin with a shorter train and crystals.  Instead of FI rolling his sleeves like he wanted, he's going to wear them down to dress him up to match me a little more.
  • Options
    I would just ask him if on the hottest day in jersey, would he wear a black suit around?  The average weather in Riviera Maya is low 80's for the high and the low is low 70's in November, but it's also hurricane season and it can go from open to overcast in no time. 

What about pinstriped pants with a nice white dress shirt and black tie for a compromise?  There aren't no rules, so it's all about what you want in your pictures forever :)

Your dress is up to you.  You can have a simpler dress that is longer with barely a train.  I think my dress is a little dressy for the beach and for what FI is wearing, but I don't care.  It's satin with a shorter train and crystals.  Instead of FI rolling his sleeves like he wanted, he's going to wear them down to dress him up to match me a little more.
  • Options
    My FI is actually going to wear navy and white pinstripe linen pants.  Thats a good idea Sarah.
  • Options
    My FI wants to wear a tux as well.  We have priced out how much it would cost to bring one with (totally not worth it and more than my dress).  Right now i am talking to the WC to see how "easy" it would be to rent one there.  Granted i don't have a lot of faith in showing up there and just renting the tux.  So if that doesn't work my FI is set on a dark navy blue suit he owns.  I keep going down the road of him being warm, b/c he also is always hot.  But he keeps saying this is what he wants, which I have to understand.  I picked out what i was going to wear.  So if he is going to be hot, that's on him.  At first i was worried he would look over dressed, but as PP said it's your wedding.  Make this about what you guys want and not what you view as "appropriate."  I don't think you can go wrong (other than a sweaty guy in pictures).  Ha!  Another point i keep bringing up nicely.  Good luck!
  • Options

What is with these men?!  Mine did the same thing.   I told him he could wear whatever, but like everyone else has said, he'd be really hot at 4:30 on the beach in June.

Now, he's thinking a casual khaki suit.   Obviously, I want our pictures to look great, but I'd also be fine with linen pants and a button down short sleeve shirt.  I think he's going to wear sandals since he hates being barefoot.

I bought a long dress with tiers and (surprisingly) a train.  I think when it comes to your wedding, the "rules" of what is and isn't appropriate don't really apply.  Do what feels right for you!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards