Destination Weddings Discussions

~~ SimplyMistaken ~~

I just wanted to answer your gift card/cash question outside of that post so not to threadjack...

Exception for one exception, I do not give gifts of cash or gift cards.  That includes Christmas and birthdays.  The only exception is for restaurants for my parents...  I give them gift certificates to their favorite restaurants because that is the only way I can buy them dinner!  They will not let me when we are actually eating together.

I just prefer giving tangible gifts... something that has meaning to me and to the recipient.  Even with registries, I buy things that have meaning - like a good friend of mine and I LOVE coffee - we would meet all the time at Starbucks during law school...  I bought her the coffeemaker off of her registry.  I was in a wedding recently that the only registry was the honeymoon registry.  I simply am unwilling to pay directly for someone's vacation.  Since they were not registered anywhere else, I gave them two bottles of wine. 

I am not trying to tell anyone what they should think or what they should do in terms of gift giving.  But, there are other people like me out there that go to weddings and would be irritated, like me, that the only option provided is basically cash.  When asked, my mother is telling people where we are registered and that we could always use gift cards to Lowes (we would have registered at Lowes, but are getting married a year to late!!).  Like I said, it is a personal choice...  I prefer to give something that can be wrapped with pretty wrapping paper and a big bow. 

I don't judge for giving gift cards or cash, it is just not the type of gift I am going to give.  I promise I am not the only person that feels this way!

Re: ~~ SimplyMistaken ~~

• As far as the question about "knowing" that the recipient is going to return my gift for cash...  If someone is willing to take the time to return it for cash or store credit, I don't mind.  Most cash registry websites charge a fee anyways... at least this way you get the full amount back that I spent on you!
  • I can see and understand those points.  I just know from the point of view of someone who already has everything we need-and are being basically forced to register so that we do not end up with a bunch of useless stuff, it can be frustrating.  I did not even want to register (we prefer Presence to Presents) but was repeatedly told I HAD to.  We are moving right before and after the wedding so we definetely do not want a bunch of stuff..it is tough.

THanks for explaining it to me!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OH-and in our case since we can't move with most of the stuff..we really need gift cards so we can get the stuff we need when we get there!  We are moving across the country..
  • I don't mean to hijack this thread but Jamie did you get the job offer in AZ!!?
  • Misty I did not find out yet about that job-but we know even if I don't get this one we will be going..it's just a matter of when.  We fell in love with the area!
  • Jamie, Arizona is soooooo much closer to California than PA is!!!  It'll be easier for a GTG with all of us!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards