Destination Weddings Discussions

Trelawny Jamaica

Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice.  My fiance and I are looking at getting married at Breezes Trelawny in Jamaica.  When I look at reviews they aren't all positive.  We aren't really a picky couple and as long as the ceremony and the beach is nice then we will be happy.  Have any of you heard anything about this location that would help us out in our decision?
Thanks so much for your time!

Re: Trelawny Jamaica

• jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Welcome and congrats! I've never been to Jamaica but wanted to say hello and wish you luck with your planning!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Welcome! The ladies on here are great and extremely helpful! I am getting married in Jamaica as well, but at Iberostar in Rose Hall. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice with breezes except don't believe everything you read, there isn't a resort out there that doesn't get negative reviews here and there. The best advice I can give is to dissect what they are saying? What is it they are complaining about? It is always the same negatives in all reviews you read? And if so, how important are those aspects to you and your FI? Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your planning!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Could you go and visit before you get married their?
  • A lot of the reviews turned me off to lots of places too...if it helps, I hear the beach on Negril is one of the most beautiful in Jamaica (haven't visited myself, but this is what my research has told me and also what I have heard from a few ppl I know who have visited mutliple areas of Jamaica)  there is also a breezes resort in Negril so the wedding packages will be the same but you'll have a great beach...

I chose to get married at Sandals Negril (Sandals and Beaches are under the same umbrella) and I am very happy with the choice (even tho i haven't been there) and I am sure the wedding will be beautiful! :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had a bride get married there in December 2010 named DiamondDani.  I remembered that she was not too pleased with it and the last post I was able to find of her's said this:

"I got married at Breezes Treawny. I don't suggest it. I honeymooned at Sandals Grande in Ocho Rios, which I loved."

I also found her Good/Bad/Ugly but that didn't give any specifics really about the resort.....

Sorry I am not much help otherwise!  Good luck!

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
    imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website
  • edited March 2012
    OK, TK is being wonky and I can't see the original post, just the first reply (or was the post deleted for some reason??).  But I'm going to guess you are asking what Breezes Trelawny is like??  

If that's the case, I actually stayed there last year over New Years.  I both liked and disliked it, mostly because I am a budget minded person so I rarely splurge to stay anywhere fancy so my expectations tend to be lower.  But here are a few things:

- The resort is all-inclusive and the food was actually OK.  They have two specialty restaurants that were good.  There are several bars and they don't skimp when it comes to the drinks.  

- The resort is old and in need of a facelift.  While I was there 1 of the 3 elevators never worked and one of the ones that did was broken down for a day, leaving one elevator for the whole resort.  I opted to take the stairs most times.  I was on the 5th floor and I'm young and health so that wasn't an issue for me at all.  For anyone who's elderly or diabled, though, this would be a huge inconvenience.  

- The beach is so-so.  I liked the little private "island" and spent a good chunk of an afternoon sitting on a hammock on that island.  But otherwise the beach was rocky and the water was mucky in color.  You'll also get a lot of waves in this area.  It's not the turquoise blue, calm waters of the Caribbean you may be picturing for your wedding.

- There were a TON of bugs in my room that would come out whenever I turned off my light at night.  They weren't roaches but these little beetle bugs.  They wouldn't harm me in any way, but I didn't care for them, either.  So after they kept waking me up on the first night I slept with my light on at night and it kept them away.  The room next to me, however, didn't see a bug their whole stay (we were chatting about my experience).  So the whole bug thing may vary from room to room and I just got a bad one.  Thinking back I probably should have just complained and switched rooms but I thought it was a resort-wide issue and didn't learn until the last night that my neighbor didn't experience them.

- They cheap and skimp on a lot of things.  No shampoo/conditioner in the bathrooms, no free WiFi anywhere (though this is common in Jamaica from my experience), hard beds, rough blankets and towels, nothing to really make it special.  And on my double bed they used a twin sheet sideways as the sheet.  I found it odd that my feet stuck out the bottom of the sheet when I first went to bed and quickly realized that's what they did.  I just couldn't believe they didn't have a double sized flat sheet anywhere in the resort and had to use a sideways twin.  Very strange.

- Not close to anything, really.  Montego Bay is half an hour away, Ocho Rios is an hour away, and Trelawny isn't much of a town that you'd want to go to.  They just built a new cruise port in Falmouth but it hasn't brought much to the area yet.  So you're basically stuck at the resort.

- Nightly entertainment was actually entertaining, IMO.  The band they got for New Years was very good, kept us all up dancing and partying until well after midnight.

- All in all, for the price it's the best value in Jamaica.  But you get what you pay for.  If price is a huge, huge, huge concern and your expecations are low you'll probably enjoy it.  I did enjoy my stay there and thought the resort was doing well with what it was given (Breezes only acquired this property two years ago).  The pools are really nice and it looks like a fun place for kids (with the trapeze and all).  But if you are picky or if you have guests who are prefer nicer places, avoid at all costs.

Like PP said, Negril is incredible.  I've been to Trelawny, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, and Negril and out of all of them Negril is BY FAR my favorite.  Can't wait to go back someday.

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• Thank you all above for all the comments.  They are extremely helpful!  Hope well to all of you!
  • Thanks so much for all of the help above.  You all are fantastic!
    Hope planning is going well with all of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards