California-Northern

Vacation rentals for wedding/reception

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has had their wedding/reception at a vacation rental? I have a near non-existent budget and plan on having a relatively small wedding so I thought this might be a good route to go but I don't know anyone who's done it so I'm hoping someone out there might have some experience in this area!! Thank you ladies and I hope you all have a great week :)

Re: Vacation rentals for wedding/reception

• edited December 2011
    Hi there! I looked into vacation rentals in Napa, Palm Springs, SF and Monterey. We were going to have a larger wedding of about 120-150 people, so I needed a lot of space plus a tent. I found that some rentals were open to the idea of a wedding on site, but they do hike up the nightly/weekly rates - by A LOT. Some were very opposed to any large gatherings. Unfortunately, you just have to contact each one separately. If you're having a very small wedding, I would try describing it as a family reunion rather than a wedding...it might help =)
  • sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked into it briefly up in the Mendocino area. The problem with vacation rentals and backyard weddings is you think they'll be cheaper... But in fact, most places don't have the stuff you need so you end up having to rent EVERYTHING: Chairs, tables, linens, dishes, lights, portable kitchen, lots of sound equipment, heaters, etc. Often times, it doesn't end up being any cheaper and it can be a bigger headache...Do you have a budget in mind, and what kind of venue/area are you looking for? People here can probably recommend some venues that will be affordable to you. Herecomestheguide.com is a good place to start the search too.Good luck!
  • apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought about doing this, but like the other ladies are saying, they raise the rates and you have to rent tons of stuff. I ended up chosing a restaurant instead. They take care of all tables, chairs, silverware, plates, etc. Plus mine doesn't even charge a site fee, you just have to meet the food & beverage minimum. You may want to look into that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • emazzuccaemazzucca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, we're actually renting a vacation rental for our wedding reception.  We're excited about the idea of a clean slate.  The home is on a couple of acres and has a pond, very country like setting.  We haven't gotten too far in the planning process, but we were looking at B&B's and with catering it was going to be more expensive.  But we also haven't gotten too far in the planning process and our just beginning to look at caterers.  Let me know if you have any questions:)
  • edited December 2011
    It does look like it would be cheaper, but really when you tell them you're having a wedding there - no matter how small - the rental rates rise on top of having to rent chairs etc. Some wedding venues have packages for smaller weddings. I would maybe look into that.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-northern_vacation-rentals-weddingreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:56Discussion:10418943Post:62202625">Vacation rentals for wedding/reception</a>:<div>
    </div><div>Hi there! Would you mind sharing the link for the vacation rental you rented for your wedding, and let me know how it went? We really want to have a party, rather than all the formal traditional stuff, and are looking for a vacation rental. Would love to see the place you rented and hear how it went, thanks!</div><div>~Colleen</div><div>
    </div><div>
    [QUOTE]Hi, we're actually renting a vacation rental for our wedding reception.  We're excited about the idea of a clean slate.  The home is on a couple of acres and has a pond, very country like setting.  We haven't gotten too far in the planning process, but we were looking at B&B's and with catering it was going to be more expensive.  But we also haven't gotten too far in the planning process and our just beginning to look at caterers.  Let me know if you have any questions:)
    Posted by emazzucca[/QUOTE]

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards